WTF is wrong with christians these days?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

GSRCRXsi

Super Moderator
VIP
ok, i know this doesnt apply to ALL christians, but these few people that do shit like this definitely ruins the name of a lot of good honest christian people. kinda like the whole ricer/street racer vs. real racer/car enthusiast. this is the article in my school newspaper today.

The Daily Athenaeum
States move to stop fundamentalists from picketing funerals
COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) - States are rushing to limit when and where people may protest at funerals - all because members of a small fundamentalist Kansas church whose members picket soldiers' burials, arguing that Americans are dying for a country that harbors homosexuals.

During the 1990s, the Westboro Baptist Church of Topeka, Kan., went around picketing the funerals of AIDS victims with protest signs that read "God hates Fags". But politicians began paying more attention recently when church members started showing up at the burials of soldiers and Marines killed in Afghanistan and Iraq.

Legislation is being considered in at least 14 states, and several of the bills are moving quickly, with backing form legislative leaders and governors. If they pass, the bills could start a clash between privacy and free speech rights, and court challenges are almost certain.

"We're not proposing to silence the speech of the Westboro Baptist Church, as offensive as most of us find that", said Kansas Senate Majority Leader Derek Schmidt, a Republican. Instead, he said, he is trying to acheive a balance that respects "the rights of the families to bury their dead in peace".

The church has about 75 members, most of them belonging to the extended family of the Westboro Baptist's pastor, the Rev. Fred Phelps. The church is an independednt congregation that preaches a literal reading of the bible.

Shirley Phelps-Roper, Phelps' daughter and an attorney for the church, said states cannot interfere with their message that the soliders were struck down by God because they were fighting for a country that harbors homosexuals and adulterers.

Lawmakers are "trying to introduce something that will make them feel better about the holes we're punching in the facade they live under", Phelps-Roper said. "If they pass a law that gets in our way, they will be violating the Constitution, and we will sue them for that".

Among states considering such measures: Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Missouri, Nebraska, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia and Wisconsin.

Some of the bills specify noisy, disruptive behavior or signs with "fighting words" as in Wisconsin. Some bar protests within one or two hours before or after the funeral starts; others specify distances ranging from 10 car lengths to five blocks away; some include both. Violations can bring fines of a few hundred dollars, up to 30 days in jail time, or more. Wisconsin is calling for fines of up to $10,000; one of five Oklahoma bills would set a one-year jail sentence.

Missouri's bill was named for Army Spc. Edward Lee Myers, 21, whose wife went to his funeral an hour early to try to avoid protesters. They were already across the road, holding signs that read "God Hates Fags" and "God Made IEDs", a reference to roadside bombs.

Her 5-year-old son kept asking why "mean people" were outside, undercover agents were in the church, and she worried that angry relatives might start a fight. "I couldn't even pay my last respects because of everything that was going on", Jean Myers said.

Legislation against funeral protests was also introduced in West Virginia last month after a small knot of protesters from Westboro Baptist demonstrated outside a memorial for for the 12 men killed in the Sago Mine disaster. The protestors held signs reading, "Thank God for Dead Miners", "God Hates Your Tears" and "Miners in Hell", arguing that the miners' deaths were a sign of God's wrath at America for tolerating gays.

"It's just inhuman for a group that says it's comming in the name of the Lord to protest a funeral", said state Delegate Jeff Eldridge, a co-sponsor of the West Virginia bill.

If such restrictions are challeneged, the courts will probably look to rulings on laws governing abortion protests, constitutional scholars said.

The U.S. Supreme Court struck down a Florida ban on peaceful picketing within 300 feet of an abortion clinic, but allowed restrictions on behavior that impedes access to the clinic. However, the courts have allowed restrictions on picketing in front of doctors' houses, saying privacy trumps free speech.

discuss

I think they're horrible people - but they have right to protest whatever they want.

People should get together and picket the picketers.

Quoted post[/post]]
I think they're horrible people - but they have right to protest whatever they want.
shouldn't the families have the right to bury their dead in peace? sure people have the right to protest, even if its completely wrong and apauling, but i think both time and distance restrictions should be in order.

Everything evil has to happen once. There is now a larger group of people, armed with the law and legislation who are out to make sure this never happens again.

Compare and Contrast that to other nations of the world, where shit like this goes on for a long time (Centuries if you're female)

The US does a good job of keeping shitbags in line without trouncing on the rights of everyone. I said "good" job, not Excellent.

I am also working on a theory wherein the extend of the US Government's homeland spying project begins and ends with Myspace.com.

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
shouldn't the families have the right to bury their dead in peace? sure people have the right to protest, even if its completely wrong and apauling, but i think both time and distance restrictions should be in order.

Most definitely, they do. I wasn't saying they don't.

"Restrictions" should never be in order. Ever.

"Rational Thought" should be in order. And the only way to get that is to completely overturn everything cultural about this world. If you wanna get started on it, I've been workign on it for years. I'll give you my notes.

Well there ya go. People publish shit on Myspace that they would FREAK about anyone getting through other methods.

All you need to is start a website that says "Tell us about yourself" and BAM you know all you need to know. Volunteered.

Abandon your Myspace accounts. It's part of the cultural ridiculousness that's eating away Freedom from the inside out.

:shrug2: i've got nothing to hide... i don't post stupid info about me.... you won't find anythign about me other than a couple pics of me and my car, and some friends

said it before and il say it again.

its the extremists in every "group" that makes the world a shitty place.

Quoted post[/post]]

"Rational Thought" should be in order. And the only way to get that is to completely overturn everything cultural about this world. If you wanna get started on it, I've been workign on it for years. I'll give you my notes.

Rational thought? Christians?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

C'mon, even YOU aren't that much of a conservative that you'd believe that!

holy fuck :eek:

my uncle died in afghanistan as a bunch of you already know
all i have to say is if some fuckwads showed up to protest at my uncles funeral i would have done everything in my power to fuck up every asshole there.... i dont even give a fuck if i got in trouble for it... there are things called respect and honor... apparently these fuckers dont have a clue about either

absolutely no fucking excuse for that shit
and i dont give a fuck about their rights to protest or whatever the fuck else
if they have a right to protest a funeral then i should have a right to tear gas the fuck out of them and spray the whole group of assbags with belt fed bean bags and or rubber bullets

Quoted post[/post]]
if they have a right to protest a funeral then i should have a right to tear gas the fuck out of them and spray the whole group of assbags with belt fed bean bags and or rubber bullets

:werd:

just make sure you call me first. i want in :p

and back on semi-topic here...
its probably the same type of people who bruned down those churches in alabama last week.

Quoted post[/post]]
holy fuck :eek:

my uncle died in afghanistan as a bunch of you already know
all i have to say is if some fuckwads showed up to protest at my uncles funeral i would have done everything in my power to fuck up every asshole there.... i dont even give a fuck if i got in trouble for it... there are things called respect and honor... apparently these fuckers dont have a clue about either

absolutely no fucking excuse for that shit
and i dont give a fuck about their rights to protest or whatever the fuck else

I agree 200% man...

Here's the thing. These people call themselves christian's or are labeled as such by the media or by others.

Because they are doing what they're doing in the name of "God" they're automatically christians in most people's eyes.

However, just like those who burn down churches, just like those who bomb abortion clinics, etc. Those are no christian actions. Christianity, at least in my eyes, is mean to be used as a tool for teaching the right decisions and the right actions.

People who kill, people who protest funerals, or do anything else like that and claim it is in the name of "God" are a complete joke. They are not christian extremists. They're ignorant assholes. And they are the problem with religion.

im fucking serious... this shit pisses me off
shit if i was driving by and saw a millitary funeral going on with some disrespectful fuckwads protesting i might have "accidentally" "lost control" of my car and happened to veer into the crowd

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]

Rational thought? Christians?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

C'mon, even YOU aren't that much of a conservative that you'd believe that!

When did I equate rational thought to christians there ?

I said that Restrictions should never be the solution. I then went on to say that Rational Thought should be the solution. Whereas Christianity's double standards and finer nuances of intolerance haven't taken hold of me, I see that Rational Thought hasn't taken hold of you. :)

I also believe I mentioned earlier something that everyone should be able to wrap their hands around - Extremes of any culture tend to be bad, and when they use their religion as a weapon instead of an idea nothing but bad happens. I've always said that.

The main tie right now with Christ / Conservatives is that Conservatives can't believe that Christianity and Catholicism get shit on so frequently, and when any attempt to defend it is brought forth the immediate counter-reaction is to "Shut up". It's the same thing when White people feel that life is unfair. Jews retaliate against Palestinians when an 11 year old throws a rock at a guard with a barrage of missile fire, Muslims destroy buildings and take hostages when a cartoon is published - People laugh and don't take it seriously. Here we see a group of christians behaving badly and two things have happened:

1) It's shaken some of you to the core.

2) The Conservative bridge is raised to somehow villify me or other Conservatives as having been there to back up their protest.

It simply shouldn't go down that way.

-> Steve

Lawmakers are "trying to introduce something that will make them feel better about the holes we're punching in the facade they live under", Phelps-Roper said. "If they pass a law that gets in our way, they will be violating the Constitution, and we will sue them for that".

would never happen anyway. for the same reason i cant scream fire in a crowded movie theater. theres free speech and then shit you just dont say or do. and im with E_SolSi, lets just fuck them up.

i have a theory for these extremists though. they are from a red state, ignorant people. therefore not capable of elaborating on the bible and must see it as exactly as its written.

Back