y80 trans synchros crunching

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

The ej1

Just curious as to how long this trans is going to last. And if its worth just getting a new trans rather than just repairing the synchros. I have a JDM B 16A in my 94 civic coupe with a y80 LS trans. 3rd gear grinds 3 out of 5 times i hit 3rd. So I usually just skip 3rd gear if I dont need it. But 4th gear is starting as well. And if im at high rpm's they definately make a grinding noise when i put it into gear. Is this going to just get worse? Thanks

through my experience they have lasted a while even with the grinding. Getting some synthetic lucas oil treatment seems to help. Try that and make sure the transmission is properly filled with lube. Theres a fill hole just above or near the passenger axle that you must wrench a bolt out to fill. just fill it in there till it starts to pour back out.

Buying a used transmission has the potential to get you in the same trouble and rebuilding it can be more expensive than new/refurbished.

Back