Yes, good news

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ThatGuy4life

The Riced Sleeper
Well good news for me, I passed emissions today, 2 year pass, equals 2 year registration. Still have my bogging problem but I'm done worrying bout that till I get my P28 :mad: been almost 4 weeks that I've beeen waiting on it. Anyways this past week I've been doing nothing but working on my fuel system/finish upgrading stuff, oh and got a new knock sensor, cel went out, cleand my iacv, adjusted the tps, so it's dead on 0.45v, but it's weird some times the idle is perfect some times it bounces up and down between 400 and 1000rpm's.

Anyways, the day actually started last night after I adjusted my tps, and reset the ecu, drove to work which is probably a little over 40 miles, no cel. Warmed the car up this morning when I got off work, still no cel, drove about 11 miles to the emissions station, still no cel, GUy actually did a full visual which surprised me, cause they usually don't if the car is OBD2, but he went through the whole test and everything passed till the last part where it said my ecu was fully ready to be tested as there were still3 systems that weren't complete so I failed, told me to drive around for a bit and come back and pay $6 for a retest or go to the main station for free.

I figured I'd go to the main station so it would give the ecu time to run through all the cycles. Got their had them check first to make sure it was ready to be tested, it was. SO he started the fulll test and what do you know, while on the machine it threw a cel. so I failed. The code he got was a P0172, he said it was a O2 sensor code. Go get it fix and come back. I said I don't think that's an O2 code, sounds like fuel. So I went to autozone had them check it, their machine gave the same code but said it was related to the MAf or tps. still didn't sound right.

So I called my boy at Honda told him to check the code, while on hold I pulled up hondaswap on my phone and checked the code, fuel system error, fuel too rich, he came back and confirmed. I immediately knew the problem, injectors too big, made a few phone calls trying to find someone with stock (240cc) injectors, but no avail. Finally decide to go to a different autozone and have them erase the codes. Guy their said he couldn't as the emissions places in town had filed a lawsuit against them for just the same thing, people getting their codes erased and then going to get emissions done. I said fuck it i'll go to my usual autozone. Went their had one of my girls their check it, same code, asked me if I wanted them erased, said sure. Left their went back to the emissions place and passed.

End of story:ph34r: :cool:

Clearing codes should leave the ECU with "unready" status, causing you to fail.

You lucked out.
That's what I thought but then I was like, it's not like completely resetting the ecu when you unplug it so maybe it'll work, and I guess like you said I lucked out, cause I left the emissions place and drove all the way to base which is about 20miles, and as soon as I drove through the gate the cel came on, I was like you can stay on all you want now, I already got my pass certificate, lol

It won't leave the entire ECU reading unready, but just that sensor.

The ECU is setup where it has to cycle once to register as a "ready" status, thats why you can't normally just clear the CELs and go through. Maybe the scanner that the inspection station was using was a cheap old one that didn't pick up unready signals - the OBD-II scanners that Autozone uses doesn't check for readiness sensors either - the expensive Snap-on ones and such, do.

To be honest, most smog shops just look to see if there's a CEL code. If the yellow light doesn't blink, you're fine. Hell, I almost got mine to pass WITH a CEL at a Test Only... the dumbass didn't notice it.... I tried to sneak by though. haha

Grats on the smog... I know how you felt... It's crazy thinking 'can I legally drive my car for another year, yet?'

To be honest, most smog shops just look to see if there's a CEL code. If the yellow light doesn't blink, you're fine. Hell, I almost got mine to pass WITH a CEL at a Test Only... the dumbass didn't notice it.... I tried to sneak by though. haha

Grats on the smog... I know how you felt... It's crazy thinking 'can I legally drive my car for another year, yet?'
You mean another 2 years. But i'm gonna use this shop again, when I have to do emissions, from now on, dude was really on the heavy side. They have no jacks at the shop, and when he got down to TRY to look under my car for the cat, i know he couldn't see cause his head was just about eye level with the bottom part of my seat. He got up eventually and asked, "do you have a cat" i'll take your word for it.

well, yea. but when i went to smog it again, it had only been running for 1 of those 2 years after BAR certification. Sorry. lol

Back