You guys think Sony was bad with ID theft?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

jeffie7

Wrong Whole!
VIP
At least people had to hack into their systems to pull data VS just opening up random mail boxes.

I got a letter from the selective service system. I guess in order to save money, they didn't bother with putting it in an envelope. Or even folding it in half and using some type of glue to seal it shut. Nope. They put full first, middle, and last name. Address, ID# SS# and DOB.....

Really? But it's ok, because if we feel that our personal data should be kept under wraps, they did say that we could choose to mail it back using an envelope.

Thanks US Gov.

sss1.jpg

sss2.jpg

sss3.jpg

Anyone want to open a credit card in my name or get a DL in another state? Just keep looking in our mail box and the next time SSS sends anything to us you will be able to.

Celerity has disappeared from most records - or if a record exists, it's totally incorrect.

Ask how !

This is somewhat off topic, but relates to what cel said...

I applied for a job recently that i had to get a background check for, told em about my background (the honest truth) and the record that came back had not one entry.

So, miraculously... I have no criminal record now. I have no fucking clue how that happened, but I likey!

So, because I actually told them the truth I was ineligible for hire, which I think is kinda fucked up. Although, at least I know now that I can pass a background check! haha

I'm a Systems Analyst. Have been since day one. Growing up, my father (A computer engineer from the late 60s on up to today) taught me the craft of troubleshooting from the perspective of the overall system, while "zooming in" on individual aspects to find an error. I have learned that as systems grow in complexity, so do errors. And errors are also inherent. Life (Reality) is full of errors. Even a simple fulcrum machine. It is perfect when it's built, but through use it will wear down. You can still operate a see-saw for many years, but as the tip wears down, (it becomes a dome) the tolerances of the fulcrum go all out of whack.

Reality is in a constant state of falling apart. Only two creatures on Earth have a concept of building and repairing - Humans and Beavers. If all the humans were to disappear, and my cat knocked over a chair in the kitchen - it would remain on the ground until the end of time, or until a beaver decided to take over the mortgage and use it to build a pile of broken chairs into a functional wall, which is about the limit of a Beaver's design element.

This conversation could go on forever, but I'll get to brass-tacks. The system is BROKEN. It's too much to keep up with. A certain degree of errors are generally acceptable (Get familiar with 6-Sigma) and those errors won't breed corrections - they will only breed more errors. The US record keeping system is so destroyed by lackluster job performance, intelligent troubleshooting and just plain idiocy - that it's simply broken.

Monetary systems, employment, statistical analysis, paper handling, money distribution - it's all broken. And with the numbers that are being thrown about these days (Again, get familiar with what a number like "Trillion" really looks like) one can see that they are generally going through the motions of maintaining a record, without ever realising that they are truly wasting their damned time.

Statistically, there are about 100,000 or so people walking around this country with completely botched records (Such as mine). It's not their fault (although mine totally is my fault). It's because that even with the BEST error management that can be used (Practically, 6-Sigma) they are the margin of error. Now, compile those figures with the error-laden methods of the Government, compounded by affirmative action hires, people who just simply don't give a shit (They'll never get fired, ever) and those who want to see the system burn down. Government record keeping sits at about a 30% error rate.

That's insane. If you performed work with a 30% failure rate (And weren't a weatherman) you would be fired before lunch. 30% is a good conversational number - one that can be backed up with statistics. I woud venture to say that the error rates are closer to 75% in real-world conditions.

Fuck that. I'm not playing that game. Even before I decided to rebel against the government, the system proved to be so broken that I could simply stop reporting things, and I would be fine. Now that the government has actually pissed me off, I'm actively throwing monkeywrenches into things.

Quick sidenote - To elegantly promote my theory, I have asked people to observe two systems : Google and Facebook. Lots of people spend time between the two, so it's a good example. Google maintains their servers in truck boxes. A Google server (One of countless) are simple machines built from junk components. When one fails, it's simply tossed. Facebook maintains a state-of-the-art commercial data center with systemic replication to offsite centers planned within parameters designed to accomodate many types of failures.

But Facebook didn't consider the primary failure - the built in failure of flawed programming. Facebook servers are very new server racks (thousands a piece, full data center quality rack mounted servers with a mainstream operating system loaded on each). When one of ..say.. 1 of 100 begins to fail (This is 6-Sigma), that server is knocked offline until someone can provide a fix. The errors begin to compound. In such a farm, with about 1000 engineers and repair techs on hand, within 1 month there are entire regions of the system that have shut down. Errors spread like cancer.

You'll notice that Facebook hasn't yet fully deployed the Timeline servers and DB versions. They haven't even half-deployed them. The project is in the RED. Your number of friends is enumerated incorrectly (This is a known bug that as of yet, obviously has no fix). Search results are erroneous, and friend matches are also erroneous. In the meantime, a few intelligent side-effects have been detected - Through incredibly complex algorithms, Friends are being matched up without the usual (Programmed algorithm) of tagging and word recognition. It became a bit self-aware of it's mission (Sounds crazy, but that's the best way to phrase whats happened).

In summary, Facebook is a failing system. Google doesn't bother with repairs. It simply distributes it's data, distributes it's error correction, and merely throws out devices that generate errors. No repair is required, nor desired.

And cjvictoria - Your criminal record is likely now listed under someone else's name. Or, it's completely disappeared. Or, it will return. It doesn't matter, because no one knows what will happen. All I can say is that as a natural system, it is designed to fail - designed to get only worse.

Nature is Atrophy. Everything falls down.

In this example, we're not going to say that 5 actual atoms were missing from the beginning of everything. Because "5" is a very small number in the number of particles in the universe. Instead, that number is 6-sigma, and it's a percentage. That's a HUGE number of atoms. It's about 5 billion star's worth of missing atoms. The system, when viewed at a distance appears to have "a minute" error (Think Windows whole-number error) but when analysed, turns out to be a LARGE number.

So when looking at government records, say DMV records - the very definition of "Perfection" means that a few people will be left out in the dust. Highly acceptable. In reality, that error is HUGE, and will compound recursively until a total systemic melt-down.

To begin the Celerity Story - That happened in Connecticut in 1996. The DMV Records had a melt-down, and Celerity's revoked driving status was wiped clean (I had over 320 points on my licence, and had to move to New Hampshire (Where records were pen-and-paper kept) and try to sneak in to get a licence. Upon my return, my licence was re-issued because the Connecticut records on my name had been wiped clean.

From this moment on, I learned to exploit these errors, and from my exploitations, I learned to "sniff out" errors, and take them to their logical conclusions. I bought my house with a low credit score. To do this, I had to finance a 1976 Chevy Vega. And that is why I owned that car.

Alternatively, I had to deal with the loss of value in my house. So I went back and examined the system, and exposed it's flaws. Everyone knows that when you get behind on bills, the damage can be vast - and some may never recover from it. Statistically, when I lost my job and fell 6 months behind in my mortgage, I was done for. The math kept me locked into that pattern indefinitely, with no hope of full recovery.

I plan on semi-retiring later this year. (I can't ever retire, I do not, nor have I ever contributed to any retirement program. Retirement programs are broken, as was seen by the literally millions affected by Bernie Madoff recently.) I examined the Retirement programs currently being offered, and found fundamental flaws to all of them. Since recognising where these flaws lead, I decided to not invest any effort or money into them. That's just good investing. My retirement involves buying my dream house, taking it easy, and starting a few businesses that I can sell or grow silent in, all while waking up whenever I please, doing whatever I please, and maintaining a relaxed lifestyle for me and my wife.

I found a system that works pretty well. And that system is flawed. Review "Strawman theory". My strawman is Bitch Stewie. I can't just go out and get things like a normal person. I can never buy a new car, I can never get a loan. I can barely move about the planet legally, and in fact, am only a step or two away from "No fly" lists, and congressional subpoenas.

Back