00-03 Legacy GT

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

trappd-in-859

I am seriously considering getting one of these cars. Full time all wheel drive, decent looks, and an ok powerplant. Now my questions would be is there anything to look out for on these cars at all? What kind of aftermarket is available for them?

Also, for the sake of starting another new topic, what would be the best route to go with a third gen N/A supra? I have thought about swapping in a 7mgte, but would my money be better spent doing a 1j swap. Or would rolling it off a cliff be the best out of the options listed :p ?

Thanks in advance for all replies.

Subaru just keeps getting better and better.

These are great cars, but the newer ones are even better.

There's a huge aftermarket support for these cars. A turbo back exhaust and a cobb accessport will give you loads of fun in the car. It can be made to stick with a STi in a straight line, fairly easily.

Throw on some big swaybars and you have a nice car.

If I had to do it over, I might have went with a newer 2.5L legacy gt for the comfort factor over my wrx. I think the legacys look sexy as all hell too. They're the new craze in the subaru market because a lot of people that are getting older and outgrowing the wrx, want to get away from all the young kiddies hopping into the wrx.

You know what? I just looked at the going rate for an 05 GT and you can get one for under 20k now. Thats really nice how with less than 1g in mods you can run with STi's that cost almost 30k. Definatly considering this car now.

Any idea as to what to do with the supra? Sell it or fix it up? I'm pretty sure most will say sell it but this car has sort of a special place in my heart. It's the only car I've had that's lasted over a year lol.

They are really nice cars.My friend as a 03 2.5 gt.Great mpg and styling.Slow as crap through..My Si kills it.

Quoted post[/post]]
You know what? I just looked at the going rate for an 05 GT and you can get one for under 20k now. Thats really nice how with less than 1g in mods you can run with STi's that cost almost 30k. Definatly considering this car now.

Any idea as to what to do with the supra? Sell it or fix it up? I'm pretty sure most will say sell it but this car has sort of a special place in my heart. It's the only car I've had that's lasted over a year lol.

PM Celerity about the supra. Gut instinct tells me the swap is going to be costly, but I don't intimately know the supra - or know much about it for that matter at all.

I only answered about the LGT, because I own a '02 WRX and have gotten quite familiar with all subaru cars over on NASIOC.com (North America Subaru International Owners Club).

Quoted post[/post]]
They are really nice cars.My friend as a 03 2.5 gt.Great mpg and styling.Slow as crap through..My Si kills it.

Is it an automatic slushbox or 5speed?

The Si can probably run with it on the highway normally, but from a dig, I thought the LGT had better posted numbers.

TBE + stage 2 reflash = as fast as a STi in a straight line for cheap.

its a good car, kinda feels like my moms Volvo 850T. If i remember right, it has electronic steering....and that is never a +. Scariest thing ever if you ask me.

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]

PM Celerity about the supra. Gut instinct tells me the swap is going to be costly, but I don't intimately know the supra - or know much about it for that matter at all.

I only answered about the LGT, because I own a '02 WRX and have gotten quite familiar with all subaru cars over on NASIOC.com (North America Subaru International Owners Club).

Quoted post[/post]]

Is it an automatic slushbox or 5speed?

The Si can probably run with it on the highway normally, but from a dig, I thought the LGT had better posted numbers.

TBE + stage 2 reflash = as fast as a STi in a straight line for cheap.

its the auto/stick thing.

One of my buddies in town has an auto 05' Legacy GT. He just put on a downpipe, up-pipe, Perrin filter, GFB Hybrid bypass valve and an Accessport. He's on stage 2 now and can easily pull on stock STI's and can kick the ass of all the modified WRX's in our town. He's even put a few Mustang GT's to shame. :)

Quoted post[/post]]
its the auto/stick thing.

Thats the problem.

Subarus triptronic shifting still uses an automatic slushbox. Same gearing ratios, same transmission, etc.

Its not like say a BMW SMG transmission that is actually a manual transmission with dual clutches and not just an automatic slushbox.

The triptronic shifting is just basically to make people feel better, and have an expensive option to do not much. Volkswagen put a SMG type box in their new Jetta - thats the only real way, and right way to have a manual-matic.

Quoted post[/post]]
One of my buddies in town has an auto 05' Legacy GT. He just put on a downpipe, up-pipe, Perrin filter, GFB Hybrid bypass valve and an Accessport. He's on stage 2 now and can easily pull on stock STI's and can kick the ass of all the modified WRX's in our town. He's even put a few Mustang GT's to shame. :)

He should be even with STis, if he were manual.

I don't know why he's pulling on them, especially not in an automatic.

The GFB 50/50 hybrid valve, is actually hindering performance because it vents either 50% atmosphere, 50% recirculate, or 100% atmosphere. This means that the turbo loses the air charge, when it vents to atmosphere. It causes the car to run rich in between shift and not have air to the turbo as quickly or efficiently.

Basically it was a step down from the stock bypass valve, to an aftermark BOV thats a noise maker.

I know... I bought my car with the same BOV already installed. It will be coming off the WRX shortly, and sold to some ricer who wants to make noise. ...the ladies and the non car guys find the noise maker impressive for some reason.

P.S. I don't know why your friend got an uppipe for his car, because I thought the LGT had the same uppipe as the STi which already has no cat in it. If thats the case, which I think it is, he wasted his money on an aftermarket pipe that will perform the same as the stock. People like myself, who had a '02 WRX with a fat, restrictive cat in, gained a lot by going to the catless aftermarket pipe - STi guys don't gain that.

...and beating a Mustang GT shouldn't be hard to accomplish in a WRX, STi, or LGT - its more difficult on the highway.

I'm not trying to call you out or anything, I'm just saying your friend wasted money on mods that he didn't really need - but whatever makes *him* happy. I also have no clue in hell how an auto slushbox beats a STi because its usually seen as Stage 2 manual LGT = Stock STi.

When Capone said he woops his friends 03 LGT, I definatly believe him. They only had 166 hp stock, so I'm pretty sure an Si could beat that.

The cost for the engine and trans for the supra costs about 1500 shipped. What I'm asking is totally opinion based. Would you keep the Supra and fix it up as a weekend/fun car, or just get rid of it?

If I get the 05, these will probably be my upgrades. Over a period of about a year. Catless downpipe, Cobb stage 2, perrin filter, Cat-back exhaust, testpipe, rims and tires, and some sway bars. Do you think these mods would have the legacy beating Sti's and Evo's?

Quoted post[/post]]

P.S. I don't know why your friend got an uppipe for his car, because I thought the LGT had the same uppipe as the STi which already has no cat in it. If thats the case, which I think it is, he wasted his money on an aftermarket pipe that will perform the same as the stock. People like myself, who had a '02 WRX with a fat, restrictive cat in, gained a lot by going to the catless aftermarket pipe - STi guys don't gain that.

...and beating a Mustang GT shouldn't be hard to accomplish in a WRX, STi, or LGT - its more difficult on the highway.

I'm not trying to call you out or anything, I'm just saying your friend wasted money on mods that he didn't really need - but whatever makes *him* happy. I also have no clue in hell how an auto slushbox beats a STi because its usually seen as Stage 2 manual LGT = Stock STi.

Yeah, I get you man - I don't think you're calling me out. I personally think hes dumb anyways. It was bought for him by daddy and its a checkbook-built car. None of the work has touched his hands. It's a nice car, but the guy is going about it all wrong. His (and my) subie buddies tell him what to buy and he follows it as the word of god. I told him to get and STI OE bypass valve, samco hoses, DP and accessport - instead he gets the bling.

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]

Yeah, I get you man - I don't think you're calling me out. I personally think hes dumb anyways. It was bought for him by daddy and its a checkbook-built car. None of the work has touched his hands. It's a nice car, but the guy is going about it all wrong. His (and my) subie buddies tell him what to buy and he follows it as the word of god. I told him to get and STI OE bypass valve, samco hoses, DP and accessport - instead he gets the bling.

His bypass valve should be fine, he doesn't even need a STi valve - infact I think they're identical or practically identical. The stock BPV is good to about 21psi, and there's a spring mod, that puts a heavier spring in for like $1.00 so the stocker can hold even more boost. Basically, its the best performing valve that you're going to find for the car...and its stock. Stupid ricers go out and buy BOV.

Samco hoses are nice and gain a few hp, but they're so damn expensive for what they are.

He needed a tbe which would include a downpipe, obviously, an accessport and he's set. After that, I would do an EBAY TMIC, and port and polished stock headers. After that, pulley kit. After that, STi pink injectors, walboro fuel pump, and Super 16g turbo. After that, possibly one of the proven intakes and get retuned.

Currently, I'm in the stage of ebay TMIC, pnp + coated stock headers, and pulleys + reflash/pro tune. That will set the foundation for a nice daily driver with quick spool up - even though I could have do without the pnp headers and pulleys and made more power by just going with a bigger turbo. Eventually, if my clutch goes, I'll get a lightened flywheel and possibly a port, polished, and coated stock turbo.

I don't understand these kids that go out and buy an expensive noise maker in a BOV, when you can buy a "fake BOV" thats just a noise maker, on ebay, for dirt cheap. Its retarded to replace the stock uppipe with an aftermarket, if its already catless because no dyno has been able to consistently prove an aftermarket pipe putting down better numbers then a stock catted pipe. The only benefit the aftermarket pipe has is its lighter in most cases - but thats not worth the $150 price tag.

Slash your friends tires and call him a ricer.

Quoted post[/post]]
When Capone said he woops his friends 03 LGT, I definatly believe him. They only had 166 hp stock, so I'm pretty sure an Si could beat that.

You're correct, I mistakenly thought that they got the big power upgrade by 2003. I thought by 2003 it had around 250hp.

Quoted post[/post]]

The cost for the engine and trans for the supra costs about 1500 shipped. What I'm asking is totally opinion based. Would you keep the Supra and fix it up as a weekend/fun car, or just get rid of it?

seriously,
fuck a supra

Back