00 ex no power to lights or anything

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

neosematic

I bought this car used with no problems. A week after the purchase, the starter has a little difficulty turning over the engine but still got the job done. One day, the starter just stops but lights still come on so I had the battery charged and its working fine again. Starter stops working again, so I replace the battery (never changed in 10 years). Life is peachy.

Sometime after everything is working, I'm leaving work and go to turn the car over... the starter turns over for a quick second, and everything just completely dies. My first reaction was battery is dead again, and I need to change the alternator. So I do that in the parking lot and have a new battery put in as well. Still nothing.

I failed to realize that everything stopped working before I changed the alternator. No matter what position the ignition key is in; I can't get my headlights to turn on, no horn, engine won't crank. I tested the continuity on all my fuses and all check good. The alternator is hooked up right and I tested the voltage on it and it is getting power. I've tested the battery and engine grounds and both don't need replaced.

I do not understand what is preventing any lights or the horn from working let alone the starter turning over. I can't push start the car either. If I've over looked something let me know. I'm not sure how to check the ignition key but what honestly is stopping everything from turning on.

Back