01 civic, odd idle, please help

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ryangt

hey whats up guys?
Ive done alot of reading up on this but havent found anything that helps me yet.
I have a 2001 civic EX 2 door 5 speed with the d17 vtec motor in it.
the problem im having is that when im out driving and get to lets say a stop light when the clutch is in and im sitting, the idle sits really low, about 300 to 500 rpm usually, it lopes like its gonna die on me, a little gas and it purrs like normal. I dont get it at all, its only when the car has warmed up and i come to a stop.
anything you guys can halp with is much appreciated.
thanks
Ryan

it seems to run fine all the rest of the time tho, i never notice any type of stumble on acceleration or anything. The only time it idles really low, is when im stopped during normal driving. Im really stumped, its not throwing any codes or anything.

how many miles do you have on the motor? i would think it might be the timing, or you might need a valve adjustment if you have high miles. it can do that. good luck

a stop light when the clutch is in and im sitting

Clutch is in as in you have the pedal down, or the pedal up... it wont affect the idle, but if your keeping the clutch depressed at traffic lights your wearing that mutha out, put it in neutral and rest your foot.

i think its the valves, because they are a bit noisy, and im pretty sure they have never been adjusted, does anyone know how to adjust them? im pretty mechanically smart so im sure i could do it if i knew how.
any help would be mucho apreciated

a helms manual would tell you the clearances you need to have.

first you need to take off the valve cover.
make sure your at tdc( i think, i don't have my manual)
use a feeler guage and check for apporpiate clearance, adjust as nessesary.

good luck

Ive only REALLY worked on carbed engines before, but could his idle just be off, or is there a way to tell on an FI engine?

yeah, its a possibility. but if he's going 100,000 + miles, and never had a valve adjustment, my bet is that is it. i have the same prob on my civic. i just need to get off my butt and do it :)

Back