01+ HX D17A6 swap into '95 DX auto

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

DuronClocker

Just picked up a '95 DX coupe with the D15B7 with a blown motor (supposedly was a blown head gasket, but once I took it apart I saw part of the block missing is what caused the head gasket to fail :mad: Actually looking for a VTEC-E swap for gas mileage. I've got a supercharged LS1 car for when I want to go fast :)

Anyways, I can get a D17A6 VTEC-E 1.7L out of an '01 HX for under $500. No ECU/harness or accessories.

Am I correct in thinking that this motor will bolt right into my car with my factory motor mounts and accessories, as well as my auto trans?

Next hurdle. Harness/ECU. I imagine if I swap sensors and such off my motor and leave cam/crank sensors disconnected, I should be able to get this motor to RUN on my factory OBD1 harness and ECU. I understand wiring the VTEC solenoid and oil pressure switch in, and I am also aware that my P06 ECU does not have the ability to control it.

At that point, I should be able to pick up a P28 auto ECU and have it programmed to control the 1.7 VTEC-E and swap that in.

From what I've been able to gather, this motor would give me about 120hp, 110-115tq, and 35city/40hwy with the CVT in a slightly heavier car. Should still get better mileage than my car would've when new.

My original idea was a D15Z1 swap, but this D17A6 will still give me better mileage and provide me with quite a bit more power over the D15Z1 (120hp vs. 90hp).

it wont be worth it to swap you have to cut and fab alot of stuff, if you want a vtec e why not just buy a vtec e that came in the 92-95 year model

it wont be worth it to swap you have to cut and fab alot of stuff, if you want a vtec e why not just buy a vtec e that came in the 92-95 year model

Hes rite....trade that motor for a y7 or y8, coversion harness for the ecu and run a obd1 p28 to pop vtec with. This swap is so simple yet way more worth it. I got a y7 no vtec and probally making close to what you intended goals are for that d17. i still get 40 to 44 mpg, and thats with a 91 si ecu and 91 si transmission. Plus coil packs cost to damn much...

Of course I forgot about coilpacks. What year did those start in these cars?

Now I can't decide between something like a D16Y8 or a D15Z1 again. The Y8 would give me a lot more power, but at the same time the Z1 should give me a lot more mileage. Either should swap right in, and then its just getting the ECU swapped to control them, right?

Everyone I asked said my si tranny and mpfi swap would kill my mpg....it got better. I have a d16y7 in mine, header, full exhaust, aem intake, fuel regulator,no a/c, no pwer anything. I think fuel milage all depends on how well the engine is tune and not what it is. The d15z1 is a vtec rite? A really small one...so get a y8 or y7 and vtec it. Ive heard of y7 mini's walking ls's with gsr trannys and cams....:ph34r:

Back