1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

03 Accord - Burning Oil

Discussion in 'Accord' started by johnercivic, May 28, 2009.

1. johnercivic

johnercivic New Member

Hey guys,

Just looking for some feedback/ideas regarding my issue. Over the past few months I've noticed my Accord (03 EX-L, 2.4L) losing/burning more oil than it should i.e. 2L within 1500kms. The first thing I checked was for physical leaks but there is nothing. I've never noticed any blue smoke either. I now need to start tearing the engine down to find the problem. Any ideas on what it could be or known trouble spots?

Thanks

2. DESPAIN

DESPAIN yep....mmhhm.......yep...

If its not smoking and its usuing that much oil then you got a leak. Check on the engine it may not be making it to the ground just getting slung under your car or on the engine somewhere

3. johnercivic

johnercivic New Member

I had Honda check it this morning and do an oil change and they did not see any visible signs of it leaking. I know, it is a far bit of oil to be strictly burning.

4. DESPAIN

DESPAIN yep....mmhhm.......yep...

Thats weird burningoil=smoking. Leakingoil=nosmoking

5. johnercivic

johnercivic New Member

I know, there must be more too it. Honda did an oil change on it this morning, hopefully there is a puddle when I go to pick it up, haha!

6. johnercivic

johnercivic New Member

Update:

Turns out there were two oil rings that had seized. Honda replaced all four piston ring sets and intake bypass valve along with head gasket, IM gasket, serpentine belt, some seals etc.

For once, a warranty was actually worth the purchase. Honda covered the cost which would've been $2800 out of my pocket.

Just an FYI that burning oil may not always be indicated by blue smoke.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted