1.6 Vetc Vs. Non Vetc

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

NightwalkeR

Alright here we go. look i have been doing some research time and for the life of me i cant find anything other than just these forms so i guess I'll give it a shot. I was wondering if the Vtec Version of the D1.6L is better then the non when it comes to boosting. I just want a d16 somthing but i have two problems one i cant find anything thats a above 1.5l and or i dont know if the Vtec motor can handel as much boost as the Nonvtec motor. I have been waching people talk about this for ever and i still cant figure out witch is better. The other problem is, is that if i bore out my 1.5l and make it a 1.6l is there by any chance that i can but 1.6l rods and even maybe a crankshaft if they make one. I have heard that honda crankshafts are pretty tuff and i just want to get it polished if i wanted to. all i want to do is build it and run boost. i just need to know what motor is better and please for the love of god can i get some place that sells these motors other than ebay. thanks it would really help me out of you could answer thous questions. Oh on another thing is that if i do happen to bore out my 1.5l is there anything that i can do to fix it up. like i mean the whole thing. like rods pistions rings crankshaft and what not. thanks again

the d16z6 is a fine motor to boost. you can find them in just about every junkyard known to man, our classifieds section, etc etc. expect 500 ish for a complete z6 swap, ecu, tranny, etc. in average condition.

they came in 92-95 civic EX, Si
93-95 del sol Si

a 1.5 and 1.6 share the same bore. boring a 1.5 will not allow you to use 1.6 pistons. the crank, and thus the stroke, and rod lengths are differen't.

vtec doesn't effect boost in the least. on larger cams, it can lead to overlap- but the stock cam won't put you into that issue.

as for parts, there are plenty of pistons and rods for d-series around. you gotta be more specific on stuff though, cuz i could sit here and throw up links all day to 1000 products (but im not going to :D )

Alright then if i got this d16z6 motor. wont it just bolt right in to my car sence i have a d series now? I mean can i use all the stock stuff? And of i was to get that motor can you give me just a little bit of sites so i can just read up on it. Now i was reading whan i saw stock cam... so if i get a aftermarket cam my motor might overlap? so i was going to boost a lot would i have to buy a new cam or can i just regrinde it? just wondering. But hey thanks for clearing some of that up thou. this may sound stupid but i just got to know these things befor i start to buy stuff. well thanks again man/!!

ah one more thing i forgot to add, now about this d16z6 motor. Is that the ZC SOHC motor becuase if it is why dont i just go with d16y8 or something from an ex or something i have a 95 Dx coupe

i would get the Z6 for sure. the only thing that differs from the 1.5 to the 1.6 is the stroke and the crank. The 1.6L rods are like 3mm longer. Pick up the Z6, put in some new rods and pistons (keep the compression as low as possible) and turbo the hell out of it. Check out hondatuningmagazine.com, their Budget Boost Project is great and they use the Z6. Making well over 200hp.

So if i have a 95' civic Dx coupe then will the z6 till fit in to my car. i mean i should bolt right in right? becuase i know that the d16y8 fits but thats all that i know of right now.

The D16Z6 will bolt up with most everything your car has in it now, but you'll probably want to change out your transmission to the Z6's because it has better gearing. You're going to have to add wiring for VTEC, then figure out a way to control it too- I would recommend adding on a VAFC or something so you can tune your fuel curves at the same time.

Sites- tons. Just read around the forum some- and check some other sites, like d-series.org.

Aftermarket cam- you can get one ground for a turbo application. I believe Crower sells one. Basically, a "turbo grind" camshaft gives you more flow by increasing overlap, but it doesn't run you into as many overlap issues because the duration isn't increased as much as a cam made for a naturally aspirated engine. If your power goals are modest though- like around 200whp, you can get that easily with the stock cam. If you're getting into power levels where you're going to want an aftermarket cam profile, you're going to need to start upgrading the internals. The stock pistons and rods can't go too far past 200whp.

SOHC ZC- there's a few different ones. There's a SOHC ZC VTEC which is identical to the D16Z6, then there's a SOHC ZC from 88-91 that's basically identical to the D16A6 (except the cam) that came in our 88-91 Civic Si and CRX Si. You'll want to stick to the D16Z6 and NOT the D16Y8 for your car- 1995 is OBD1, and the Y8 is OBD2.

Back