1.6L cam gear

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

civtegra07

I have done a 1.5 to 1.6 conversion. everything is good. I started the car the other day for the first time. It was really hard to start. I double checked the time and everything else that could make this problem. Came up with nothing. So i was told that with everything timed properly the crank pully will be lined up with the white mark and the cam gear will be lined up with the 2 marks that are at 9 and 3 o clock parallel to the head. So then the dot on the cam gear should be up and also should be right where the wood drift key is.(Is this right?) So back to everything lined up right. The dot on the cam gear was not up. So I took the cam gear off and found out that the wood drift key was broken. The cam gear must have moved...right? I got the broken piece out off the cam but now the rest of it won't come out of the cam gear. My question is does anyone have a picture of the cam gear on the motor without the bolt on??? I would like to see if the dot is suppose to be where the wood drift key is. any help would be appreciated.

I have done a 1.5 to 1.6 conversion. i was told that with everything timed properly the crank pully will be lined up with the white mark and the cam gear will be lined up with the 2 marks that are at 9 and 3 o clock parallel to the head.
on the 1.5, you line up the marks at 9 and 3 o'clock with the top of the head, however, on a 1.6 that is not correct - the stock cam gear has a third mark at about 7 o'clock - on the 1.6, you line up the third mark with the pointer on the inside of back timing belt cover - Si is right in the middle of this picture

91-6-26-1.jpg

on the 1.5, you line up the marks at 9 and 3 o'clock with the top of the head, however, on a 1.6 that is not correct - the stock cam gear has a third mark at about 7 o'clock - on the 1.6, you line up the third mark with the pointer on the inside of back timing belt cover - Si is right in the middle of this picture

91-6-26-1.jpg

Would this apply to a d16y7 to???

thank you. That helps alot. Thats funny I had so many people tell me that the 7 o'clock mark was ignition timing??? And do you know if the wood drift key is part of the cam gear??? or is it a seprate piece like with the crank pulley??
thanks

The woodruff key location is 4.5* retarded on '96-'00, compared to '88-'95.

Yeah this lines the two 3 and 9 o'clock marks back up with the head and the third with the pointer on the gear cover. Thats how mine is anyway. This is also the reason you need to use a y7 gear on a a6 cam to line the cam timing up perfect in a b2 head.

Back