11:0:1 too high for smog?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

im going to get usdm b18c1 and put it in an eg and try to get it referee so my eg is legal with a b18c1. after i referee it, imma build up my block. so my question is, if raise my compression to 11:0:1 with everything else is stock, would i be able to pass smog or is those compression still too high? if its too high, isnt it true that i would be able to retard the timing and make it pass?

kind in mind that there are some honda cars thats running 11:0:1 stock compression. like the s2k or even the new rsx type s.

Originally posted by allmotorbeasteg6@Sep 9 2004, 03:00 AM
kind in mind that there are some honda cars thats running 11:0:1 stock compression. like the s2k or even the new rsx type s.
[post=387830]Quoted post[/post]​

Well the RSX-S doesnt have 11:1 it has 10.5:1 or something.

Just get it tuned after you swap it.

Originally posted by allmotorbeasteg6@Sep 9 2004, 03:00 AM
[post=387830]Quoted post[/post]​

Keep in mind that those cars have different emissions standards to pass compared to your car's stock configuration. Each car has its own limits on emissions depending on how it's certified by the government and the car's manufacturer- so some are allowed more particulates than others. Just because a car with 11.0:1 compression from the factory passes its own emissions test doesn't mean that your car with a swapped engine running 11.0:1 compression will pass its original emissions standards.

i understand what you guys are trying to say but do you know or seen someone whos raise there compression to 11:0:1 and had no problem passing?

Yes, I've had a friend in Dallas who passed the sniffer with a built B16 in a 5th gen hatch... and that was without a catalytic converter. That's good tuning.

I'd pass with a straight pipe and a carbed 350 in my hatch, but that's because I don't have emmisions in PA.

Not but seriously it also depends what your state allows, I think every state has a different law pertaining to how much your allowed to pollute the air. If you tell them from the beginning it's swapped (might not be a good idea, and it might be, never know) they can change some things and make it pass.

Actually, I'm pretty sure it's just the state's decision on whether or not to enforce the emissions standard by sniffing or not- the permissible pollutants for each car (by make & model) should be the same no matter what state you're in.

:werd:

There are a lot of people running 11.0 : 1 cr in street legal cars here in cali that I know. Isn't the type R running at 11.0 :1 ? The cylinder pressure and temps are higher than in low cr motors, and so its ideally going to burn cleaner, but the problem comes when you start predetonating. To fix this the cheap way, a lot of people dump more fuel in, causing the car to run rich, which is why you will fail the sniffer if you don't tune. Just tune with hondata/uberdata/whatever and you should be fine.

p.s. If you are in cali, the two areas you want to tune the finest are at idle and at 2500-3000 rpm, since those are to two engine speeds they test. Other than that you can tune the rest of the range how you want, since you'll most likely never being driving to the tune of 2500-3000rpms. Hondas are worthless at that low of engine speeds.

Originally posted by MikeBergy@Sep 9 2004, 07:41 PM
p.s. If you are in cali, the two areas you want to tune the finest are at idle and at 2500-3000 rpm, since those are to two engine speeds they test. Other than that you can tune the rest of the range how you want, since you'll most likely never being driving to the tune of 2500-3000rpms. Hondas are worthless at that low of engine speeds.
[post=388234]Quoted post[/post]​

That's actually the range I drive in the most with my Civic....

over here its the county, not the state, that decides on emissions(i think like maybe 65 of 100 counties down here do emissions). you can drive like 45min to next county and get it inspected there.

Originally posted by Calesta+Sep 9 2004, 07:50 PM-->
MikeBergy
@Sep 9 2004, 07:41 PM
[post=388234]Quoted post[/post]​

That's actually the range I drive in the most with my Civic....
[post=388281]Quoted post[/post]​

Well, my ls tranny cruises on the highway at higher engine speeds than that, so I'm puzzled as to why you would be cruising in that area... :shrug2:

Moreover, I was primarily speaking with regards to performance driving.

Originally posted by MikeBergy@Sep 10 2004, 02:24 AM
Well, my ls tranny cruises on the highway at higher engine speeds than that, so I'm puzzled as to why you would be cruising in that area... :shrug2:

Moreover, I was primarily speaking with regards to performance driving.
[post=388427]Quoted post[/post]​

I'm just talking about driving in the city- I really do spend almost all my city driving time between 2000 and 3000 rpm. On the highway it's more like 4000-4500, and I really only hit the 7000-8000 range when I'm running in a straight line. The twisties and the torque of the engine keep me around 4000-5000 when I'm playing in the Austin hills- otherwise I'd run myself straight off the edge of a turn and off a cliff.

Back