12:1 compression TUNING

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

what do you mean styleteg. Cam timing is at stock. The ign timing is set back to 14, because of pinging and it was not bogging before i put the new filter and pump. How do i know if my pump was bad? I am running stock cams.

Khai

Originally posted by khai_tuan_nguyen@Feb 9 2004, 12:36 PM
what do you mean styleteg. Cam timing is at stock. The ign timing is set back to 14, because of pinging and it was not bogging before i put the new filter and pump. How do i know if my pump was bad? I am running stock cams.

Khai

When you increase compression, you are increasing cranking pressure. To a point it is helpful, but it is diminishing gains and after a point it is simply going to stunt your high end power.

Higher compression is needed for aggressive cams, since the intake valves are open more when the piston is ABDC. Because of this, more compression is bled off through the open intake valve. You have to increase compression to compinsate for this. (This is all dynamic compression).

Beyond a 25% increase in cranking pressure from stock, you are pretty much going to be undercamming your engine. My guess is that with the stock cams, and that much compression, you are beyond that point.

iv heard great things about skunk2 stage 2 cams and toda b's... guy i knew ran the skunks in his lsvtec and it was very nice....

Do i have to worry about lift, vavles hitting pistons? Can I do a clay test without taking the head off( I am not sure of how this is done, just heard about it)? Also do I have to upgrade valve springs retainers? I just want some decent cams witout worryying about lift and more internals.

Khai

Back