12 Second Traction Problems From Street Tires

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Hey...
I've been doing the research on getting a 12 second front wheel drive civic. I keep hearing traction is going to be a problem, big big big big big big problem. So my question is... how does somebody get 12's on street tires?
Do you guys think a turbo that spools late would do it mixed with a good 60' time? I dono how to get around this obsticle anymore... maybe I should get an AWD Eclipse and a 16g turbo... but please let me know what you guys would do about this problem. Remember I cant run slicks or gut anything. Im also aiming for 300hp...

thanks a lot guys

well, for a 12 second civic your going to want drags for the track. For the street, you just want the highest quality street tires you can buy and a limited slip differential. With 300hp, you should be ok.

poly urethane motor mounts will help with wheel hop, and your going to want a good suspension setup too. teins would be eally nice and should help you to keep it pretty straight.

you'll definately want a helical type or clutch type LSD(no phantom grip!!!!).

and think about some traction bars from z10 engineering.

all of that should keep your front tires pretty well planted.

Originally posted by saturn_boy96@Apr 21 2003, 02:28 PM
poly urethane motor mounts will help with wheel hop, and your going to want a good suspension setup too. teins would be eally nice and should help you to keep it pretty straight.

you'll definately want a helical type or clutch type LSD(no phantom grip!!!!).

and think about some traction bars from z10 engineering.

all of that should keep your front tires pretty well planted.

Poly bushings all through the front suspension help also, since lower control arm flex is what causes most of the wheel in Hondas. Kill the soft bushings, and you'll remove a good amount of the lower control arm deflection too.

some drag radilas would be a start, you will not run 12's on 17 or 18 inch wheels unless you have a DSM :lol: Sorry had to do it :lol:

Seriously get some nice 15 inch wheels and buy some Toyo RA1's or Nitto NT555, or the ultimate R compound street tire Hoosier 033's I believe is the name......and some turbo lag helps greatly, trust me....

-Matt
-1994 Civic CX - full D16Z6 swap
-1997 Spyder GST - 12's

Just need to look at getting some street slicks. Those do well on the track and then if a punk wants to race u can smoke him...About the turbo. You can get a turbo built so it want unload until high r.p.m's and that will help a bunch. Invest!!!

Back