12k Anyone?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

MikeBergy

Blah blah blah....
Has anyone here revved their engine to 12k before? I have had some ideas about when I get out of college, building a b16a motor with a high compression bottom end, and then getting a cam profile similar to my CBR's. Anyone ever done this or thought about it? I know I can make plenty of power lower than that (like everybody else!), as currently I am building a motor with forged and sleeved bottom end and skunk2 stage 2 head components, but you have to hand it to motorcycle motors, torqueless wonders maybe, but their output at high rpms is through the roof!! I love revving mine to past 12k on the highway. And yes I do realize I will need to get a stand alone management system to deal with the computer issues. I'm ACTUALLY thinking about getting a MoTec system, not being a F&F ricer. They are pretty sick pieces of equipment.

properly built its very possible .... but its going to be VERY stressfull on the engine and its not going to last long

if you're ok with the idea of rebuilding it often then go for it

Originally posted by pills_PMD@Dec 10 2003, 04:19 PM
stage 2 motors rock.

does it have a stage 2 clutch?

:bo:

He's checking out the stage 2 turbos and stage 2 weight reduction as well. :lol:

I knew I was gonna take flack for the stage 2 motor statement. Jerks, now I'm gonna have to edit my post. <_<

E_,If you have all your stuff baleance properly, it shouldn't crap out as much as you say, right? Anyway, when I have the money to stick motec inside my car, I won't be worrying about rebuilds.

RPMs = Ruins Peoples Motors

nuff said

having everything perfectly spec'd will help .... but its still a shit load of stress

Originally posted by MikeBergy@Dec 10 2003, 04:38 PM
E_,If you have all your stuff baleance properly, it shouldn't crap out as much as you say, right? Anyway, when I have the money to stick motec inside my car, I won't be worrying about rebuilds.

With a proper spark, a perfect R/S ratio, super high compression and insane lift cams I supose you could..... but then comes the question... WHY???? :blink:

Why does anyone modify a perfectly good motor from the factory engnne?
1. Because we can.
2. Because it's fun.
If you're like me, you do these things because they satisfy your curiousity, not because you just want a fast car. Having a fast car is just a result, not the reason for building motors, at least for me. I have always been curious about how engines work, and what happens when you do such an such to them. I'm working towards an engineering degree, so I want to eventually satisfy my curiousity while making a living at the same time.

If this site is still around when I get outta school, I'll be the post grand master with that thread. But just wait, and you'll see.....

i have seen a b16a revved to about 13200rpm. didnt make any power up there but was just seeing if it would do it. this was a fully built and balanced engine, made about 190hp and 140ft-lbs tq.

The toda spec b's are capable of that high of revs. You are going to have to think about the little things. OEM timing belts will shread to peices at that speed. You need to buy a kevlar belt (good up to 12k rpms) by toda or ... can think of the other brand that makes them. Everything will die extremly fast. Some of the diehard road racers will build their engines to survie at this speed just as a security blanket when they misshift and over rev. When your reving this high, except to rebuild close to every year.

Might be just as much fun to mount a few CBR motors under the hood. Whatever turns your crank. It can be done, but I can think of a few other things to spend the cash on. A turbine maybe :idea:

why stop at 12k? a b16 can rev up to 16500 if you really want. just dump enough money at it and it will do it.

want it to last longer? buy a sponge crank, rods and bearings that wont fail, ones that use pyramid technology to the nth degree.

i have to agree with everyone else, why build it? it will need to be rebuilt after about 5k miles. just think of the rings goin up and down at that speed...?

Originally posted by simplyfast@Dec 11 2003, 11:58 PM
why stop at 12k? a b16 can rev up to 16500 if you really want. just dump enough money at it and it will do it.

want it to last longer? buy a sponge crank, rods and bearings that wont fail, ones that use pyramid technology to the nth degree.

i have to agree with everyone else, why build it? it will need to be rebuilt after about 5k miles. just think of the rings goin up and down at that speed...?

yeah, leave extremely high revving to street bikes.

if you're making 180whp at 8000RPM's your still gonna make 180whp at 12000RPM's. all your doing is just staying in gear longer.

Back