13.67% Holy damn

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

its a GREAT time to buy reliable companies.

we are at/in/near the bottom.

it will be rocky, but its really only going up from here, long term.
you may lose another 10% till christmas... but in a couple years, things will be better and up up up and you'll never have these prices to get in on at a discount ever again.

As long as you're not 55+, buy buy buy.

in 5 years, you will be kicking your ass.

I recovered more than $500 today out of the $7.5k i have in the market.

up 11% in my roth
and 6% in my 401k

my mutual fund has taken a HUGE hit.
it basically lost everything since 1997.
i was in at 45-50 for most my buys.

last week, i tripled my stake in the fund for less than the cost i have in it total.

fsngx

when this recovers i will be very very happy :)

until then, i'm riding the wave and dumping more money in. I can't touch it till i'm 55 anyway... i'm pretty sure in 28 years, it will break its current price :)

Last edited:
Investments by Asset Class
Balance Shares
or Units NAV Change Per
Share or Unit ($)
Stable Value/ST
INCOME FUND $10,394.68 82.912 $125.37 +$0.02
Company Stock
UTC COMMON STOCK FD $21,265.30 657.961 $32.32 +$0.86

658 shares...in utc...but that the common stock, not the normal stock, so it's about 70% of a real stock...but in 19 more years to build...it will cushion my lavish life style. 1/3 in income fund at 6%, and 2/3's in low risk...averages 12% a year...and I'm dumping $300 into them weekly...so 300x52x19= major money

I prolly got back 3-4000 today...:D

yep. you're also 8 years older than me.

I started my 401k 2 years ago and my roth 1 year ago.
and i've already got close to 10k in them :)

Stable Value/ST
INCOME FUND $10,399.65 82.912 $125.43 +$0.06
Company Stock
UTC COMMON STOCK FD $24,074.79 657.961 $36.59 +$4.27

ehhh. +$2800...not bad for one day.:D

So guys, when would be a good time for me to start investing you think?

i made a ton off visa already. bought at 63, sold at 82.
re-bought at 58. sitting and waiting now :)

Damn, can you guys (Airjockie or B) recomend a good place to learn the do's and don'ts of trading? I understand that prices can only go up from the bottom, and that makes me want to invest, but as of now I know nothing about it.

SavingsTalk.com :) There's a lot of good info there from myself and get_nick.

Prices CAN still drop. and they will in some sectors or particular businesses. We're far from 'out of it' at this point.

The idea right now is to get in on solid companies that WON'T fail at prices that we may never see again in our lifetime.

ie, stay far away from banks, lenders, fly by night places, etc.
ie, AIG, GM, ford, etc. they all can collapse in a heart beat.

invest in things that 100% will be here tomorrow, like Coke, visa, mastercard, etc.

It would be hard pressed that the gov't would allow GM, Ford or Chrysler to fall due to the large unemployment rate it would create. Think about it, if either of those go under, you're talking around 1million people, including factories, dealerships, part suppliers, service industry etc being unemployed. No way they go under. They'll file bankruptcy first and would get bought out and go private before they close the doors for good.

I actually bought a bunch of F at 1.99 last week and some more today at 2.52. I expect at least a 50% return on my investment. I also bought HIG when it was at 19 and right now its at or over 30. I still have over 200 shares at 97 bucks though :(

i doubt the big 3 will go under, you're right... but that doesn't mean their stock won't tank.

They already cut the dividend.

There's 0 point in owning it IMO.

There's 3242424324 better options with dividends and a more solid corporate finance structure.

I'm sticking to UTX, I know two things thats going to make it sky rocket after a few months. When they vote for the new Air Force rescue helicopter, and when the direct drive jet engine gets certified... Plus another day to watch it is the 16th...when they go public with their profits.

Back