1966 AWD Oldmobile Toronado

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

tab

Super Moderator
I've talked about my Toronado before. It's my little project. I have a 68, which is a 455 ci FWD car. In 66 and 67, they had a 425 FWD. This is an example of what someone can do with a decent idea and some know-how.

Two 425 ci engines and two Toronado drivetrains. These are dead stock. The 455 of course made more power stock, but this is a thread of fact.

Twin Engine Toronado

The stats from car and driver say that this exact car that I linked runs 100 mph in 11.0 seconds, dead stock on 1966 tires.

I'm willing to bet that with newer parts, better tires, and some learned ingenuity, that this car could run tens on street tires and pump gas all day long. Most of you will not be impressed, but keep in mind that this setup weighs ~5500-6000 lbs.(three times almost the weight of a civic hatch).

I love classic cars. I saw a car identical to my 68. I loved it. I searched and searched and searched, until I found one, one state away.
I traveled to Salem Oregon to get my car. I paid $700. What a steal. I got a rebuilt tranny, rebuilt heads, and a tired 425 engine running car. This car should have a 455, but the owner switched engines with his 67 for good reason.

I bought a set of 12:1 Arias pistons from a guy who ran good numbers. The rods were polished, weighed, and balanced. I also bought a nodular crank from another guy, which will complete the 455 shortblock.

My future will definitely have a 455 Fwd .060 over Arias piston, nodular crank, Oldsmobile. I am looking forward to it.

I've seen the car, in person. There aren't many pics of it - I was trying to tell people about it for years. They didn't believe me.

Now that my humilation has subsided, it's good to know someone else knows what I'm talking about.

The car's design is also somehow connected to the Wolfrace guy (Made other 2 engine cars) Not much more is known.

If you have a Toro, you gotta get the Stephen King "Dark Half" sticker on the back :)

-> Steve

In 1966 Grant MacCoon along with his father built a twin engine Toronado, featuring 850 cubic inches and producing 770 horsepower.
thats sick, but more so cuz it was in 1966!!! areyou saying you want to do this, the twin engine idea...or wht?

Back