1989 Civic emissions question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Chris Franks

I have some questions about my 1989 Civic Wagovan that has an 89FD 1500cc engine that is dual-point fuel-injected. The Haynes manual is little help and our local Honda dealer threw out all the "ancient" shop manuals.
It seems as tho the EF forum would be the place for me, but my engine is type KHN15V5F1F1 and these people are using d numbers.
The engine flunks Texas inspection because of high hydrocarbons. I am sure this is because the thing on top of the injector body that looks like a 1960 automatic choke is always closed even when the engine is hot. It would open if vacuum were supplied to the diaphragm next to it, but that control is connected to a tandem solenoid. The solenoid clicks when I apply 12 volts to it, and the two rubber hoses are connected just like it is shown on the underhood emissions label; one goes to the diaphragm and the other to the thing that would be an air cleaner on a 1960 model, but there is very little vacuum in that location; it goes to the air filter over by the battery via a huge hose.
When I supply vacuum to the diagphragm with a hand pump, the diaphragm operates and the "choke" opens up, leaning out the mixture and probably passing the test. Maybe the problem is that I need to supply the tandem solenoid with a better vacuum from the manifold and hope the inspector does not see the T-connection that would be required.
What am I missing here?

do you have this?

Attachments

• 91-11-125.jpg
    91-11-125.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 211
  • 91-11-126.jpg
    91-11-126.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 179
  • 91-11-127.jpg
    91-11-127.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 173
  • 91-11-128.jpg
    91-11-128.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 162
Thanks

Thanks, jlicrx. Those thumbnails are precisely what I need for the next step. I have a manual vacuum pump but the gauge is missing so I am going to get one and start the troubleshooting procedure.

I bought one of the first CRXs sold in Pennsylvania in 1984. I even got a license plate for it that said "CRX". That car went 149,000 miles in 4 years with zero repairs, just tires, oil and filter. When I moved to California it would not pass CA emissions but before it could be fixed it was crushed in the 1989 Bay Area earthquake.

I have been in CSprings many times as my former company has a factory at 1900 Garden of the Gods Road. Thanks for all your help.
Chris Franks

Back