1990 supra need info or help

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

EdrikLongtail

Hello all

Im looking for my 1st on the side project car. I came around a 1990 white supra non-turbo. Its a 5 speed. I don't know anything about supra. But i want to build a rwd track car. Dose anyone any sites or anything i can use to look this options and see if its worth it

Thanks
~Edrik

You've picked a nice car, but a tough project... especially for your first Project car.

The 1990 NA still had the 7MGE i-6 (3000 cc), which is reknowned for it's head gasket problems. The head is also large, so when it overheats you can bank on warping.

As a result: Even my 1987 Supra, of which was like my... 25th or project car, I overlooked just what this meant for someone that lacked the expertise to do it right the first time. The headgasket blew once, twice, Three times finally. After the second head gasket blow, I gave the car over to Airjockie. Air ran a simple compression test (something I neglected, totally) and found that the car's problem was the compression. It was running round about 11.5:1 compression, and wasn't responding to the fuels I put in there. After a few tanks of CAM2 (At a WHOPPER cost) the car ran like it was rocket propelled.

So be careful with this car as a project. The car is fine it's bugs, electrical is usually fine, body is ok for rusting and stuff, but the engine eats head gaskets. The toughest things you'll find to replace will be taillights, interior and seats.

Good luck in your choice, If I had to do it again, I would do a Supra... but not as a project.

-> Steve

The non turbos are dogs... especially from that era. Do yourself a favor and find a turbo w/ a six speed. But hey, don't listen to me... I don't know WTF I'm talking about.

and when it blow's...holey shit......I hope your not doing over 100mph....hehe.

aae.jpg

All those compression strokes just goes thru the cooling system, and blam....everything in the radiator goes all over the place...the cars behind you...the rear tires....I had an awsome drift that day...and was very lucky I could control the car from not going into the ditch....

/sorry for the guys behind me that got the anti-freeze bath...Darcy's car was soaked.

i missed that day for some reason i cant really remember.

if i was in the market for a supra, id find a turbo 1st gen.

Originally posted by TurboMirage@Dec 25 2003, 04:55 PM

Turbos weren't available 'till the 2nd gen. 2nd gen was also the first gen of being a "Supra" and not a "Celica Supra."

Originally posted by Loco Honkey+Dec 25 2003, 06:43 PM-->
TurboMirage
@Dec 25 2003, 04:55 PM

Turbos weren't available 'till the 2nd gen. 2nd gen was also the first gen of being a "Supra" and not a "Celica Supra."

ah i see! thanks for letting me know.

is it possible then to drop a 2g turbo engine in a 1g?

Back