1994 Honda Del Sol VTEC won't start.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Neptune

I have a 1994 Honda Del Sol 1.6 VTEC with 120,000 miles. It has been running well but recently (the last 3-4 starts) has been hard to start. It ran well after it started. Now, a day later, it will not start at all. I put a timing light on it and checked the timing while cranking. It appears to be firing regularly and in time. After cranking 5-10 seconds it begins to fire weakly and might pick up if I kept cranking. The fuel pump runs, but I have not measured the fuel pressure. I poured 2 gallons of gas into the tank to be sure it wasn't empty. The plugs are not wet but smell like gas. I sprayed starting fluid into the throttle body and got no apparent response. I expected it to at least burn off the starting fluid. If the timing belt slipped the distributor timing should be slow, but it seems OK. If the injectors are not working it should still run momentarily on the starting fluid. I'm ready to tow it to the dealer. I need help!

id check your spark. sounds like you are getting a weak spark. or no spark. could be anything from plugs, to wires to cap to rotor or even the coil or ignitor. thats where i would look.

same thing happened to my teg, thought it was the coil, but it ended up being the whole distributor.

Quoted post[/post]]
Battery? Does it sound like it barely has power?
Definitely not the battery just recently got a new one

Quoted post[/post]]
id check your spark. sounds like you are getting a weak spark. or no spark. could be anything from plugs, to wires to cap to rotor or even the coil or ignitor. thats where i would look.
Where is the ignitor exactly, I've heard of this before but previously owned a ford and there was nothing called an ignitor on it so i'm not familiar with it. Is the ignitor in the distrbutor?

take the cap off the distribtor. you'll see it. its a rectangle shaped thing next to the coil inside the distributor.

1.5" wide, 1.5" deep, .3" thick
something like that...

Back