1994 US Civic EX - b18c5 conversion questions

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

TheMirror

After searching, I couldn't come up with the answers to these questions. Someone has to know, so I'm asking here.

What are the header options for this type of swap? I've looked at the headers from different manufacturers, but nothing pops up as swap specific.

Also, what should I be using for a radiator? This car will see a good dose of road course time, so 'adequate' cooling may not turn out to be adequate. Do manufacturers such as Fluidyne make appropriate radiators for this application? Who would I source for hoses as well?

Thanks,
-Mirror

What are the header options for this type of swap? I've looked at the headers from different manufacturers, but nothing pops up as swap specific.
Use a B18 header, ITR one, or another aftermartmade for a 1.8 deck hieght. As far as swap specific, your concern is hte catalytic convertor, and it's placement on your stock set up, and what exhaust system you will be using. Most after market catbacks, are designed to use the standard header/cat/B pipe configuration. However, on some of hte lower level Hondas they place hte cat, right off the head, then a single header pipe, and then the exhaust. So, if you retain your stock exhaust system, and use the ITR header, it will bolt right to it, but you will have no cat. Follow?

Also, what should I be using for a radiator? This car will see a good dose of road course time, so 'adequate' cooling may not turn out to be adequate. Do manufacturers such as Fluidyne make appropriate radiators for this application? Who would I source for hoses as well?
The stock radiator has a lot of potential, but upgrading is never a bad idea, if you have the cash. The Fluidyne for the 92-95 Civic will fit perfect, and you use the radiator hoses from the DOHC DelSol vtec.

OK, cool. I will check for CAT placement and go from there. The rest of the exhaust then, I assume, will be the civic specific aftermarket ones. What diameter piping for a b18c5? I've seen 2.25" and 2.5". I'm loathe to give up any low end torque for a couple of horsepower above 8000rpm, so is a 2.25 the way to go? Not sure how much air these engines are flowing, so I'm not sure if a 2.25" would be restrictive.
Cheers,
-Mirror

2.25 is good, 2.5 is ok, and 3 is way too damn big.

Originally posted by 92b16vx@May 21 2004, 10:51 AM

Use a B18 header, ITR one, or another aftermartmade for a 1.8 deck hieght. As far as swap specific, your concern is hte catalytic convertor, and it's placement on your stock set up, and what exhaust system you will be using. Most after market catbacks, are designed to use the standard header/cat/B pipe configuration. However, on some of hte lower level Hondas they place hte cat, right off the head, then a single header pipe, and then the exhaust. So, if you retain your stock exhaust system, and use the ITR header, it will bolt right to it, but you will have no cat. Follow?

OK, I eyeballed it today and it looks like I'm OK. It seems that the stock manifold is bolted to the head, then two pipes extend downward and under the tranny. Those pipes come together and finish with a flange, which appears to bolt to the stock cat. The stock cat is pretty big, seems like 15" long and cylindrical.
This is an original 49 state car, purchased new in Chicago in 1994. I'll look at it more closely once I get the chance to jack the thing up. Stock exhaust looks heavy.
-Mirror

Originally posted by katman@May 21 2004, 01:58 PM
another bad-ass radiator for the 92-95 civic is a Koyo radiator. They're really really nice..better than the fluidyne imo. here's an image of it I snapped for JHP:

http://www.jhpusa.com/catalog/images/koyo.eg-rad.jpg

I believe its thicker than the Fluidyne, and you can mount your stock fan to it and it has the thicker B-series hose necks on it.

Wow that thing is burly. Looks like its intended for high thermal loads. Purpose built for force inducted applications perhaps?

Originally posted by TheMirror@May 21 2004, 07:35 PM
Wow that thing is burly. Looks like its intended for high thermal loads. Purpose built for force inducted applications perhaps?

you can totally use it for daily driving purposes.
It just a bit thicker than a dual-core civic radiator; holds more water and cools faster than the stock unit. a couple of my friends are running this rad and they dont have any problems with it. I'm personaly running the integra length Koyo in my EG w/OUT a fan, havent had a cooling problem since (hope I didn't just curse myself :unsure: ).

Back