1996 Civic EX Sale or No?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Alaminia

Not sure if I should post this here or not... I have a '96 Civic that needs a new transmission. I'm on the fence about keeping it or selling it or parting it out! The new, well, rebuilt transmission would be about $800 installed but I'm SURE they will find more wrong with it. I LOVE my Honda... but has anyone had to replace the transmission? It's got 200k miles on it. What else will start failing that I'll need to replace? If I have to put too much into it I might just have to get a new vehicle. I realize it's hard to say without seeing the car but if ANYONE has had experience with this your advice is welcome!

Has the timing belt been replaced recently? That belt needs to be replaced every 90k miles, so if it hasn't been done yet, put that on the list too. And depending on where you go and whether or not you have the water pump replaced at the same time, that could be another $500ish...

Thanks for the quick reply BrutalB83. Yes. The timing belt was replaced. Ever since I got stuck on a highway at 3am in my '90 Civic I stay on top of that. Water pump has never been replaced. I'll add that. Was wondering about the engine. Should I rep that at the same time I do the transmission? Like most people I'm working on a limited budget. I DO want a safe car though. (FYI I will be puttting about 100 miles on it during the week to/from work and basic errands.)

Last edited:
I guess it depends on if your doing the work your self or not. Ive always done things myself and always took my time in finding good deals. Depending on your location parts can be very cheap or very expensive. Id def replace the water pump.... wouldnt want it to leak and cause the belt to slip. Whats the condition of the motor? Leaking oil? Burning oil? 200k is alot and I know id be upset if I just replaced the transmission and then the motor went out.

Last edited:
Heres 2 cents....

The condition of the rest of the car depends greatly if its worth dumping $ into the engine/trans. Unless its a desireable body style or youre building a sleeper.

Anything further than that falls into personal preference obviously. :huh:

Civic94cpe23: The motor condition is good. No leaks and no burning oil. I had issues with that before and got that fixed.
RHDism: The car's been in two accidents (all my ex husbands doing >.<) but repaired. I love the body style. The newer Hondas just don't do it for me. It's looking like I'll have to put $1500 into it. It's a popular body style where I live and I've already recieved offers. ($1500 has been the most).

Thanks for all the replies!

Last edited:
Back