1996 Civic - What Are My Options?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ImportN00b

I'm planning on a purchase of a 6th gen Civic (probably '96 because it'd most likely be cheapest), not sure on model, really. I want to go with a turbo set up, and my budget is fairly good sized (ie I don't want to go cheap or shoddy, but don't want to spend an arm or a leg, either, hehe). What's the best engine to put in for a high powered terror, and keep it reliable? Should I go with a built B16B or B16A2? A built B18B1 or C1? Would anything bigger fit with room for a turbo and intercooler? Thanks

<<plugging my asshole with 10 cubic yards of concrete before i write this post.....>>

get a greddy 15g kit for it. provided ur motor is in decent condition, and its a stick....
turbo it. youll save money and be just as fast as a engine swap....maybe. depends on
how much boost u run and everything else...but its possible nonetheless.

thats what im doin in 2 or less weeks.

unless you want a full on race car, then swap the motor out. but if it is just to take out a few
mustangs or whatnot.....save ur $$$ and boost it.

just make sure you RESEARCH the ENTIRE process of installing and maintaining a turbo.
its not for everyone, you got to take care of your car alot more than you would normally.

Originally posted by karnash@Apr 28 2003, 02:36 PM

its not for everyone, you got to take care of your car alot more than you would normally.

Hey Karnash, could you please elborate on that part. Do you mean you just got to tune up more often (ie. oil, plugs, wires blah blah blah) or do you have to do more "special" kinda stuff? and if so about how often do you do it?

Thanks

Research bud, just owning a turbo charged vehicle can be a pain. 93 octane. synthetic oil changes regularly. Turbo timer or sit in your car at idle for 3-5 minutes everytime your done driving. blah, blah, and blah.

I personally would get a B18B (Integra LS/GS/RS motor) and turbo that. A boosted D series will make you happy, but you can only go so far and so fast with one cam.

Originally posted by TRuggiero_@Apr 28 2003, 03:12 PM
Research bud, just owning a turbo charged vehicle can be a pain. 93 octane. synthetic oil changes regularly. Turbo timer or sit in your car at idle for 3-5 minutes everytime your done driving. blah, blah, and blah.

I personally would get a B18B (Integra LS/GS/RS motor) and turbo that. A boosted D series will make you happy, but you can only go so far and so fast with one cam.

ya trug is right in the sense that maitanance required (sp)....

oil changes RELIGIOUSLY.
monitoring guages religiously.
popping your hood more than once a week for visual inspections.
92 octane works fine.
being paranoid.
if you dont plan on going ANY faster than low 14's the a greddy kit and the basic
bolt-ons and turbo stuff SHOULD get you there on streets no prob.
possible to hit high 13's? sure.

you CAN get away with the bare minimum and skimp on a few of the above mentioned ideas...
but i wouldnt. i need my car as a daily driver and cant afford any downtime.

on the plus side?

flying by someone with a swap and watching them get whip-lash from the PSSSHHHHHH of the bov.
kinda sorta less money spent to get to low 14's than u would with a swap.....give or take.
just being original and not following the swap trend, and then handing some of the swap camp
their asses. not EVERYONE who has a swap does much more than basic bolt-ons.

a turbo on a sohc is kinda like a 5'10 tall skinny blonde with blue eyes and big tits that loves to suck cock.
looks good, all the guys turn their heads, makes you feel good about yourself, but high maintenance
and if u neglect it....bye bye

Originally posted by karnash@Apr 28 2003, 02:19 PM

a turbo on a sohc is kinda like a 5'10 tall skinny blonde with blue eyes and big tits that loves to suck cock.
looks good, all the guys turn their heads, makes you feel good about yourself, but high maintenance

LOL. :thumbsup:
that's a nice analogy.

Originally posted by karnash@Apr 28 2003, 06:19 PM

LMMFAO
fucking priceless :lol:

ok, well, technically I'm not NEW to import tuning, more like Hondas. I owned a modified (my mods, not someone elses, hehe, basket case when purchased) AWD Talon (stolen, grr), so I DO know how to maintain a turbo car.

and that analogy is beautiful. Simply beautiful, hehe.

Well, my next question is this, then: What can a boosted and built D16Y8/Y5/Y7 handle? I like the ratios on the EX tranny, but obviously I'd have to keep the tranny that came with the engine if I swapped in a B series. Too many choices, hehe, and I'm not good with choices. If the D series engine/tranny combo can handle enough power, I may just keep 'em in the car.

lol, nice analogy. Thanks TRuggiero_ and karnash for clearing that up and explaing.

tuning isnt going to make the tranny last any longer
its still weak as hell... you could put an LSD in there and hope for the best... that should make it last a little longer

i'll just go with a B series swap, then. No sense in having a fast car with a ticking time bomb. Thanks everyone. :worthy:

Back