1996 Civic Wiring Help!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

atari52oo

A couple weeks back I found that one of my rear windows would no longer go down on my 96' Civic. After some testing with my multi-meter and service manual, I found that a single wire going from the front driver's window control switch to the rear window switch had a break somewhere. Well I ended up finding it. The break is right before were the wire enters the door just inside the rubber boot that protects wires going from the car body into the door.

See pictures:
img0171large.jpg

img0170large.jpg

Can anyone give me some advice as to how I can fix this break? Is that green thing a connector? or does the wire run straight through from the door into the car body? I am at a total loss at the moment and would realy hate to bring the car into a dealer/shop to get this fixed.

Any input would be great!!

Josh

Green thing is a connector

if it was me...I would go to a dismantler or pick-n-pull and get one off a wrecked car (preferably the same model as your (2-3-4door) Cut wire as long as possible on wrecked car

There should be 'pins' that hold the wire to the green plug. They have 'special tools' for re-pinning but it can be done with a super small flat head screwdriver or a good size paper clip that has been grinded flat (like a screwdriver)

Its a tight area...(maybe take the door off...if your confident)

You can then take the pin/green wire out of the donor clip and take the pin out of your car door. Connect donor pin/wire into green connector (same spot) and use a barrel connector to connect to existing green wire.

Not an easy project and take some patience (or buy the special re-pinning tool)

OR....

You can try to soder to the existing pin that's in the clip....connect green wire to its correct spot (pin should still be in the green connector) but still...I would take the door off...or at least the clip from the door and see if that gives you enough elbow room to see what you're doing.

Gentle touch is needed with either of my solutions

CAFROG, thanks for the great info!

I think I'll take a shot at removing the door and repairing the existing connector.

That being said since I've never removed a door on this car, how difficult of a job is this? Can I simple remove the pins without a special tool? or will I need to unbolt the hinges?

Secondly, how do I release that green connector? Is there a tab on the inside of the door? or on the green connector on the outside of the door?

Thanks again!

Take the door panel off....look around and see if you need to remove the door. You may find the clip comes out and you have access to it. Look inside the door panel and see if that helps

Door removal is pretty basic but I would use a jack or someone to hold the door up as you remove the bolts and pin

Back