1999 Civic B18 Swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I'm going with the b18b, is a 99-00 b18b motor an obd2b? I want to do the swap myself and if it's obd2b then that would make it a lot easier.

Thanks, can you show me a link where you got this info. I want to read up before I go all out and start swappin.

Last edited:
I Thought I read somewheres that it's alot easier to tune an OBD1 for boost applications. Is that true?

And what else would I need to make a JDM B18 GSR fit? As far as I know, it should only be a conversion harness of some sort.

I Thought I read somewheres that it's alot easier to tune an OBD1 for boost applications. Is that true?

And what else would I need to make a JDM B18 GSR fit? As far as I know, it should only be a conversion harness of some sort.

I'm a little confused, I'm not sure if you're still talking about the 99 Civic or not? If so you're going to need the basic items listed in the link a few threads up. If the engine is the same OBD as the car it will make it much easier. If it isn't, you'll need to swap injector clips etc plus wire the other stuff such as vtec, IAB, etc to accomodate the ODB1 GSR motor.

If your harness is a different OBD than your ECU; you'll need a jumper harness, which is what I believe you're refering to as a "conversion harness".

With respect to tuning (which I have not done), I would say it would be easier with OBD1 as much of the technology has been developed for OBD1. In saying that, it may also be just as easy for OBD2. Maybe someone else more knowledgeable can comment?

Last edited:
1999 Civic Cx Hatch = OBD2b?
99-00 LS Teg motor = OBD2a? or b?
If it's OBD2a and the car is OBD2b will there be any problems with the wiring? Or do I just need to swap the ECU and put the motor in?

1999 Civic Cx Hatch = OBD2b?
99-00 LS Teg motor = OBD2a? or b?
If it's OBD2a and the car is OBD2b will there be any problems with the wiring? Or do I just need to swap the ECU and put the motor in?

The 99-00 LS is OBD2b. It should be a plug-n-play application wrt wiring. Just swap in the P75 ECU from the LS.

I have read on here that the P75 ECU plugs won't fit with the 99 wiring harness ports. Is this true, that would be very weird to have the plugs not fit the ECU ports.

Hey guys,
I have a 1999 Civic Hatchback. I want to do a motor swap but I can't decide what I want to put in it. Should I do the b16sir or the b18gsr? My local shop wants to charge 1500 for the swap I don't want to spend that much. Are B-series swaps in EK hatchbacks relatively easy? Let me know thanks.

DAMN that shop is expensive....$1500 for a B series swap? Lol....I know shops doin h22s for $900 in hatchs....wiring and install.

H22's for 900! You need stiffer springs, new mounts, bigger radiator, exhaust, and you have to cut out a new spot for the shifter. 900 seems a bit cheap, what does that swap have? Where is this shop and who is it? The shop i'm talking about includes (for the b-series) all new gaskets, water pump, belts, axles, conversion harness, spark plugs etc.

Last edited:
H22's for 900! You need stiffer springs, new mounts, bigger radiator, exhaust, and you have to cut out a new spot for the shifter. 900 seems a bit cheap, what does that swap have? Where is this shop and who is it? The shop i'm talking about includes (for the b-series) all new gaskets, water pump, belts, axles, conversion harness, spark plugs etc.

now see.....you should of said that to begin with....if you talkin bout the OVERALL prive then yes....your b18 is cheaper. Mine was about a $2,000 swap. Mounts, axles, install, wiring and $100 hook up exhaust. Oh and I dont know where you here all these things about you need this and that for a h22 swap.....there all dumb. Still have stock radiator....never gets hot or overheats....had stock suspension(dont anymore) but it rode fine......

Zerolift Autolab
Cinci, Oh
Welcome to Zerolift Autolab!

I have read on here that the P75 ECU plugs won't fit with the 99 wiring harness ports. Is this true, that would be very weird to have the plugs not fit the ECU ports.

The P75 number was used for both OBD1 and OBD2 ECUs. If it doesn't fit, it just means you have the wrong P75 for your harness.

The P75 number was used for both OBD1 and OBD2 ECUs. If it doesn't fit, it just means you have the wrong P75 for your harness.

Thanks man, sorry about the confusion earlier. I didn't specify the whole swap price. The shop actually charges 750 for labor.

Last edited:
I believe for 96-> chasis you need 2 99-00 si mounts, 1 original civic mount, 2 integra mounts, or 1 integ and 1 crv if keeping the a/c.

I'm not sure whats what... but

I have heard a lot of mixed information.

I also want to know as well!!

If the guy is still around that is.

Back