1999 civic ex with turbo b16a swap battery keeps dieing need ideas

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

orangemanja

99exturbob16aswap
whats up everybody!
i have a 1999 honda civic ex with a turbo b16a2 swap
i recently had the engine rebuilt (the wastegate stuck open causing to much boost, had to try it out blew a piston) anyways now that i got the car back from a "questionable shop not happy" i am having a problem with the battery constanly dieing. before i had the engine rebiult i had no problem with the alternator or the battery it always kept a charge. I took the battery to advanced and had them test it and it was fine and charged at 14v.I checked the connections for corosion, the alternator plug and wires and tested the alternator. At normal idle the multimeter read 13.4v at the alternator and 13.9 at 2000rpm with nothing else turned on then i tested it with the air on and the headlights on at 2000rpm and it still read 13.9 volts. When i shut the car off the battery read 13v.
what else can i check and where is it located or what else could be the problem?
or
do you think the alternator is bad ?

Need ideas, let me know

thanks
jason

I would say check the alternator, if it is bad we all know how quick it can drain a battery, also you could check your starter a buddy of mine replaced his battery, and alternator. and it turned out his starter was draining power from his battery. (more than it should) you could have it checked too.

your alternator should charge at 14.4V+

alright i took the alternator off and took it to advanced
they put it on the machine and it tested 13.5v and amps where fine
so the maching said the alternator is fine
i thought that a alternator below like 13.8v mint it was bad

so do you guys think there right about the alternator?

what else could it be?

like i said before custom painter the battery is only a few months old practically new there is nothing wrong with the battery

anyways i believe i have fixed the problem
seems to be holding a charge now

What was it?

My bro swapped a b16 in his car and is having the same problem. Battery dies but the battery light doesn't come on until its too late.

yes please tell us your fix this seems to be a comin problem with the b16 swap

to be honest not really sure i took the alternator off took it to advanced auto parts to got it tested. it tested fine so i put it back on the car and it worked fine.
dont know what was wrong really all i know is it works perfect now
must of just wanted to be a pain in the ass i guess

i had the same problem with my 99 si and it was the alternator. also you can check the alternator charging or something like that fuse under the dash

Back