2 part civic head unit and cd

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

killercannible

Hey guys, alright you know how 96-98 have the two part radio and cd player. The head unit is on the dash and the cd player is on the bottom near the shifter. Well i just bought the block off plate for the top and wanted to know if it will be easy to mount a stereo in the bottom part, wire harness and everything. Also i was wondering if i could move an si radio into the bottom part because they have integral cd players. Well guys whatever you got will help. Thanks alot. :wink:

Putting an Si radio down the bottom would probably mean extending the harness becasue it plugs directly into the back of the radio. It would be easier with an aftermarket CD player becasue they have a pigtail and then theres also the adapter that would make the harness even longer (and probably be long enough to reach the stock harness).

Also with the aftermarket radio, it would be much easier to extend the wires (if you had to) rather than cutting the dash harness and doing it that way.

you dont have to cut the harness, most stereo shops sell a reverse harness and a regular harness . basically you would buy a harness like the one that you would use to connect an aftermarket one and then you can make wire extensions to the reverse harness wich would connect into the factory unit. its pretty easy to do and its actually pretty commonly done i have done a couple that way.if you cant find the reverse harness let me know i can get them both from work for you.

One thing to look out for in the 96-98 civics is the fact that the brain box for the security system is located in the lower unit from what I have been told. I was lucky enough to have a dx when it comes to that. I didn't have to worry about removing the stock tape deck because I had no alarm.

I have an ex but it has no security system so i am all set there. I just wanted to make sure that the lower cd unit was the same size as a regular cd player.

The keyless entry for 96-98 civics is in the head unit... Not the cd player add on...

Installing a Cd player in the lower din is very easy. The wires will reach.

Ok, so what i have found out so far is that it is easy to mount a cd player in the bottom part, i bought an si radio to keep a factory look plus it lights up amber. Also i got a reverse si harnes and a 96-98 t harness so i can wire the radio and be able to keep my keyless entry and dome light which run off the stock head unit. Only question left is where to hide the old head unit.Any sugestions, i was thinking close like in the glove box or on the floor behind the center console, what do you guys think.

i put mine in my glove box, to get the connecter into the glove box is tight, just a little finesse (i.e. cramming, twisting, turning, and ultimately bashing the fucking dash board as hard as you can) and itll work fine. it only takes up about half of the width of the glove box, and about the whole depth (on its side) but still plenty of room for your registration and all the paper work, plus some other things.

speaking of which, i need to get a din sized pocket for my lower part, lol its just been a gaping hole for a few years... but whatever

Yo buddy, give me a call when you get that shit, you know you'll be asking for my help. like you always do. :p (not that i do anything)

Some people I know just shove it back inside the dash, others extend the wires and mount it under the passenger seat.

Back