2 way and 1.5 way lsd

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

get_nick

These snozzberries taste like snozzberries...
VIP
what is the difference between 1.5 way lsd and 2 way? and which is better?

man, dont you play Gran Turismo???

2 way, has the limited slip on both acceleration and decceleration, 1.5 is mostly on accel and only partly on decceleration. there is also a 1 way, which is only on acceleration.

the advantages on each depend one what kind of driving, and what kind of drivetrain you has (FWD or RWD or AWD).

Basically since this site is for hondas, then ill just say it for FWD.

1 way is good on drags and stuff cause you only need the accelaration part

1.5 is good i guess for FWD on road courses and AutoX and stuff cause you have the full limited slip on accel, but only part on deccel. tis is good for FWD because they are already hard to turn on sharp turns. The more the wheels are spinning at the same rate, the harder it is to turn. With the 1.5, you basically get both wheels powered on accel, but when you slow down for a turn the wheels aren't still going at the same rate, which makes the turn easier.

2 way is a pain in the ass for FWD because when you decelerate, both wheels are still being powered so when you make a turn, there is tire slippage to compensate for that. Basically when both wheels are powered, your cars turning radius is bigger, and when you make a sharp turn, the tire spin because you are turning in a sharper circle than what the car is capable of.

If I am wrong anywhere on here, correct me

1.0 way is acceleration
1.5 way is acceleration and braking
2.0 way is working all the time

2.0 is the best, however, they are extremly expensive, and most of your LSD's for honda's on the market are 1.5 way.

so if i could get a big brand name 2 way, would it be better than itr lsd or quaife? i'm looking for daily driver and autox in the summer

Some manufacturers make LSD's in different configurations and are commonly classified as 1 way, 2way, and 1.5 way. This designation reflects the design of the cam groove which enables the LSD to function differently under different loads. A 1 way differential means that the cam is shaped in such way as to have positive lock only when accelerating. The 2 way is constructed in a way to have positive lock motion in either acceleration or deceleration. The 1.5 way is a new term used to describe the 2 way cam which enables different lock up rates during the two directional forces. The 1.5 distribute positive lock stronger under acceleration than when decelerating. The 1.5 way can provide more forgiving balance when braking than a full 2 way setup, although it is less effective for true racing applications, it provides easier operation for beginners in throttle off conditions. It is also effective for front drive cars which need extra stability during braking.

just what i said basically

thanks for the link b. but i'm still confused about the performance aspect, it says that stock LSD isn't that much of an improvement over a normal differential, and anything other than kaaz or cusco puts extra stress on the clutch.

so would installing a 2.0 way be worth it if you can pick it up for cheap? or would a stock ITR be a more sensible route?

if it matters i have a 92 hatch with a gsr swap. i was considering a couple options, installing an ITR differential into the gsr tranny. selling my tranny and buying a jdm ITR online, or installing a 2.0 way that i found on ebay for very cheap. Any input will help.

mind you- that link is for toyotas.

the stock diffs, although 1.5 ways, are just not as strong, nor as "active" a diff as the quaiffe and kazz units are.

IMO, the quaiffe is the way to go.

Lifetime warranty, and works well from everything form drag cars to road race and autoX.

there aint a damn thing wrong with the helical lsd on an itr...makes a tremendous difference....granted, maybe not as much as a kaaz or cusco would...but is still a hell of a lot better than no lsd.

Back