2000 Accord timing belt issue

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

wildman

I have replaced the timing belt, water pump, idler pulley, and tensioner. Runs great EXCEPT the belt is "running out" and destroying itself after about 1,000 miles. Is my problem in the tension setting? I followed Chilton manual completely on the tensioner adjustment. The water pump pulley flange looks fine and the crankshaft gear "washer" is installed correctly and looks fine. This is the second time this has happened. Ideas?:confused:

Is there something on the pulley that would cause it to tear into the belt? Sharp edge, etc.? Is the pulley straight after assembly--Does it wobble around?

George stated what I would say. There has to be a sharp spot on one of the pulley's or the belt is rubbing on something that would cause this to happen. I would also say that maybe you dropped something down (screw or bolt) in between the belt and pulley but this has happened twice so that probably isn't the case. Has the car been in an accident in the front left drivers side?

Honda Timing Belt Issue

George, thanks for the ideas. I'm sorry that I didn't post my solution to the problem but I did figure it out. It turned out to be the new tensioner pulley was mis-manfactured from the factory. The actual pulley alignment was not parallel to the block attachment bolt hole. I finally saw what was happening when I ran the engine prior to installing the timing belt covers. I never thought about questioning a new part from the factory or the need to run the engine prior to installation of the timing belt covers. From now on any timing belts that I replace will be "tested" prior to final re-install. :rolleyes:

I am glad to hear you figured it out. This thread will hopefully benefit someone doing a t-belt in the near future.

Back