2000 si with crvtec dropping 3rd cylinder

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

WannabeSI

I swapped a crvtec in my freinds 2000 si and for some reason cylinder 3 is missfireing. we changed the plugs, wires, cap, rotor, and the coil in the dist and Honda put on a new timing belt and they said it was "dropping a cylinder" and they didnt know why. they sugested a valve adjustment or possibly the ecu was having problems running the motor due to low compression. does their sugestions sound resonable? what would cause this?

did you check thew injectors?
and have you tested the comperssion?
is the firring order correct?

Have you tried moving the injector from cylinder #3 to another cylinder and seeing if the other one misfires? Probobly not the cause, but it is an idea.

compression was checked on the block when i purchased it a month or two ago and it was fine. i havent checked the injectors they came with the 99 crv longblock that i bought. i will switch them around and see if the problem moves with it. also the firing order is correct.

Thanks

Are you still using the Si ECU? Check the compression with the new head on it. and yes, adjust the valves. I had a Toyota with a new engine done by a reputable guy come by dropping two cyl. It was really screwy valve lash, it has to be extreme, but if the valve events are off, no compression. Pull the plugs and read them.

yeah still using the si ecu on this swap. im gonna do a valve adjustment and check the injectors this week and if its not working i'll have the compression checked again.

Thanks
Rick

It will run, but a stock Si ECU will not provide the right fuel for this setup. You need to look into.... Preferrably Hondata, or at least a V-AFC. If this is old hat to you, don't get insulted....but be sure to do the compression test hot and the valve adj. cold, not "my temp gauge says cold", but a thermometer in the valve train reading under 100 degrees. Otherwise your valve lash will be off later.

ok, so i did a valve adjustment and it didnt change, then i swapped injectors and nothing. i checked compression and cylinder 2 is a bit low and three is really low 1 and 4 are fine. what would cause low comp? do you think the head gasket isnt sealing right? i torqued it down to spec maybe i need to get the head shaved it could be warped or something. that is what i am thinking. is there any other reasons for low compression? compression was checked on the crv longblock when i bought it and it was good but dropped when i put on the si head.

the head could be warped or the head gasket could be blown. you should pull the head off and look (its gonna have to come off anyway) you might end up needing the block shaved and the head milled, but check it all for straightness before you do anything.

also, did honda put the right head gasket on? i dont know which one that engine is supposed to take, but im sure its not just a CRV or just a Si timing belt...

there are lots of ways you can loose compression, valves not closing all the way, head gasket, hole in a piston, warped head, cracked head etc... make sure you check all these things if you pull the head off, good luck with it.

-Chris

Back