1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2003 CRV auto transmission fluid change

Discussion in 'General Tech and Maintenance' started by reckedracing, Sep 13, 2018 at 10:51 AM.

1. reckedracing

reckedracing TTIWWOP VIP

Anyone ever do a transmission fluid change (without a machine, no flush).
    Historically speaking I always avoiding changing auto transmission fluid as you lose the metal flake/particles, and sometimes it does not play out as planned.
    I have a slight stutter in my CRV, seems to be a part throttle variable speed type issue, not associated with shifts, or even medium/hard acceleration. Just part throttle maintaining speed, could be 15-40 mph. Intermittent.
    Internet research suggests a transmission fluid change might solve this.
    130k miles, not sure if transmission has ever been serviced.

2. reckedracing

reckedracing TTIWWOP VIP

Did the transmission service yesterday. 129,553 miles.
    18 inch slim funnel, 3/8 ratchet, drain pan, ramps, 10 quarts honda ATF, and a new crush washer.
    Drain, fill, drive 5-10 miles, drain, fill drive 5-10 miles, drain, new crush washer, fill.
    Run through the gears, level the car, and check fluid once last time, top off if necessary.
    (I think the actual procedure technically calls for one more drain and fill.)

I have put about 30 miles on so far with no notice-able stutter so far.
    On Saturday it was very prevalent holding a steady 40mph, about 1500 rpms, in around 75-80 degrees.
    I've been trying to drive in that sweet spot as often as possible, and no issues so far.
    Hopefully I have this all figured out.

Briansol likes this.
  3. Jeef

Jeef NO MA'AM Moderator VIP

The drain fill method seems like a big waste of fluid, but its cheaper than having a shop do it.

reckedracing likes this.
  4. dilbeckskate

dilbeckskate infamous

Technically a pump and dump isnt a trans service you still have pump screen etc still internally that need to be changed but regardless a fluid exchange is good maintainence but dont think for a minute it will get rid/take care of underlying trans issues if you were having shifting issues, they will return , if just for maint should be fine

5. reckedracing

reckedracing TTIWWOP VIP

Just a slight stutter/shudder. Not associated with shifts, as stated in original post.
    Internet research has shown a fluid change to solve the issue, so I shall remain hopeful.
    No re-occurrences to date, nearing 100 miles since fluid change.

Agreed that it does seem wasteful, but this appears to be the same service a tech would do on a lift. As per the honda service bulletin, if the internet sources are correct anyway.

dilbeckskate likes this.
  6. dilbeckskate

dilbeckskate infamous

correct other than they would do fluid evac with a machine to empty the pan and torque converter and drop the pan and change gasket/trans filter then refill with a machine, im sure the pump screen is fine though and put some pep back in the trans, I swear by lucas grab gear trans fluid additive

7. reckedracing

reckedracing TTIWWOP VIP

Not sure if you're talking about a transmission flush or not.
    The machine powered flush is specifically not recommended by Honda.
    I'm fairly sure you know way more about this than I do.

8. dilbeckskate

dilbeckskate infamous

honda dealers have one that they disconnect the transmission lines from the trans cooler and one feeds new fluid while the other side is receiving the old fluid and its changed with the vehicle running under its own pump power , when fresh fluid is coming out of the inlet its finished

9. reckedracing

reckedracing TTIWWOP VIP

thank you, that makes sense.
    I wish I had one of those machines. I wonder how much it would have been to have the dealer do the fluid change.

I was trying to avoid taking it to the dealer, as if this fluid change did not work, I already had a few trade in offers from local honda dealers and didn't want something funky to pop up under the VIN.
    One place offered me $2800, and another offered me $3000 for trade in value.

dilbeckskate likes this.
  10. dilbeckskate

dilbeckskate infamous

on that vehicle and mileage I personally wouldnt have taken it to the dealer either, pump and dump and keep on truckin

reckedracing likes this.
Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted