2009 Fit (ge8) Clutch Delay Valve

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

awptickes

unimpressed by you
VIP
Just to throw this out on the Internets.

The 2009 GE8 has a Clutch Delay Valve or CDV. It's a one-way restrictor in the hydraulic line of the clutch that is supposed to ease the clutch back in, as opposed to slapping back against the flywheel.

If you know how to drive a stick, it sucks. If you race, it sucks. If you aren't quite sure how to drop the clutch, it rocks. But for all intensive purposes, it just makes your clutch wear out faster.

Located in the master cylinder, this little bugger is going to be hard to get at. Unlike the s2000, which famously has it located in the slave cylinder, the Fit's CDV is an intergal part to the master cylinder. Even more unfortunate is the low-mount location of the clutch MC. The MC is a pain to even see on the GE8 Fit. Inspection of the MC requires removal of the factory airbox, and some contortionist moves. However, due to the placement and routing of lines in the engine bay, bleeding the system is relatively pain-free.

As more information is discovered, this will be updated.

Slave cylinder bore: 3/4"
Master cylinder bore: unk (assumed to be 3/4")

Would really like to figure out a way to replace the valve. Helped install the CDV on a friends AP2 and it makes a night/day difference.

I just swapped out my Master Cylinder with a Omni-Power Clutch Master Cylinder, effectively removing the CDV entirely. The CDV is designed into the MC on the Fit, just like with the RSX and the 2001-2005 Civic.

Now the car feels like a whole new car. I can feel through the clutch pedal now. The clutch GRABS when you drop it. It's like driving a WRX (with a lot less power and traction.)

I bought this kit:
Club RSX.com: Omni-Power Clutch Master Cylinder: Acura RSX

The ClubRSX kit fit perfectly. No surprise Honda used the RSX-style MC in the Fit, as they used the same front brake calipers too. You use the spacer provided, and the stainless-steel braided soft-line as well. The softline replaces the hardline that attaches directly to the MC. I used the pivot-thingie already attached to my OEM clutch MC. I zip-tied the stainless steel line in place so it wouldn't float around.

The OPCMC is 21mm bore, where the OEM MC is 15.8mm bore, so there is a significant difference in throw. I had to remove the upper clutch stop adjustment bolt's lock nut entirely. I will probably get a longer bolt, as it still needs about 5mm more. Now the clutch rests at about the same level as the brake pedal. It grabs about 3/4" from the top. It doesn't slip at all.

The pedal is also a bit stiffer. It's more like a upgraded STi's clutch -- it doesn't feel like a gas pedal. I don't think I'll need to upgrade the clutch disc now, as it feels like I just put an upgraded clutch in the car. Shifts are quicker, more precise, and the response is instant. Launching is easier, because instead of the car slipping the clutch for you, now you can do it properly.

I no longer feel like I'm 12 years old again driving stick.

Last edited:
Very jealous. Definately an upgrade that has been slotted to the top of the list. Is the MC a bitch to do, as far as being wedged in under the cowl?

It's under the cowl and behind the strut tower, almost obscured by the brake booster.

I've been almost a whole month with the new MC installed. I put almost 3k miles on it, to include a few hours of stuck in DC and NYC traffic. No leaks, no adverse effects. It's a lot easier to 'feel' through the pedal now, to the point where I don't have to look at the tach while in traffic.

My only concern was the lack of throw, but that seems to have resolved itself now that I'm used to it. I drove my father's car (ge8 sport) and I felt like a 12 year old once again.... Night and day difference. It doesn't take any effort at all to get in and drive it. I taught someone how to drive stick in it, and she remarked how easy it was -- before the swap, she just could not do it.

After 15,000 miles on it, I feel like it's never coming off. It feels like a real car. I love the way the car responds now. It's a workout if you're stuck on the GW Bridge in NYC, but I still don't regret it one bit.

Back