3 motor choices help me find one!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

2slowcivic

I still am new to honda's please dont roast me! I have a good choice between motors, I have put some major thought into my car I want it to be a drag car and something for a mid-night cruise. I was thinking about either, H22, B20/vtec, or LS/vtec. Which motor will pull best in 1/4. By the way I dont care about the extra weight.This is what I know, I think the H22 is about 200hp, B20 140hp, LS 140hp. Any help would be great!!!!

b20 is at 135. depending on year of B18 it ranges from 130-145.

I say go with a mildly built b20z with a turbo of some sort... the h22 would IMO cost to much, to muchfab involved with hasport mounts the b20/b18 are basically a bolt in swap.

So b20 block turbo or b20 vtec? I know I would have to swap out the intake mainfold and get a different tranny, but I would like an all motor sleeper, I looking to run 13's, I heard a b20 block with some bolt ons would give me a fair hp gain, but a B20/vtec would put my 2150lb DX into the 13's.

a stock B20...

yes if you do the B20 get a skunk2 LS IM. at least a 92+ LS exhuast manifold and LS cams...

My opinion go with the h22 with i/h/e for starters. The lsvtecs and b20vtecs all need alot of mantainence so i would just go with the h22a if you just want to run in a straight line. But that is just my .02

how do they need a lot of maintainence... if you (2slowcivic) are indeed worried about this ask LSVTEC about it, as he has this in his car. There is no more maintainence req'd for the LSVTEC as a normal engine.

The H22 will cost more to swap into the given car, mounts, custom everything from wiring to shift cables and shifter lever etc...

B20 swap shouldnt be more than $1800
H22 swap is arond 1400 for the engine, 3-400 for mounts and then whatever it cost to fab up everything.

SpodaB1 has a point an H22 will cost any where from $4000-4500 swap, a b20 cost a fraction of that. Now the B20 w/ Skunk2 I/M, LS cams, how much will that put out? Also what type of tranny, and what should I do about the wiring? And will this put me in the 14's? 13's? Because right now I am running 17's :lol: :sleep: !!!!

One more thing maintance I really dont care. Its a track car, and maybe a car I drive to some races or togo's. My goal is look stock but go fast. Goal is 13's runs but I wish for 12's!

Originally posted by FearDaGreenCivic@May 29 2004, 10:09 PM
The lsvtecs and b20vtecs all need alot of mantainence

WTF are you talking, theres no more maintaince, Id say go b20 vtec, my b20 vtec setup, stock bottom end, stock b18c5 head, IHE, made 200hp, and 145 tq and ran a 13, im sure i could make it into the lower 13s with slicks, the car is a great around town driver, i love the tq, and if you want to put the car into the 12s' the setup is great for turbo since the compression is low, if your going all motor try to find a b20z, if you can't or want to run boost runa b20b, seriously though, the h22 will cost you too much to get it in and I got my setup for less than the h22 costs anyway, also, try to work on your car with a fuckin h22 in there, if you do have to do any maintaince, it won't be fun...

Just becuase the enigne is "bigger" it doesnt mean its better. So therefore the H22 in a ED chassis is not good idea simply becuase the car is tiny. And I assume this is his everyday driver.

i think it all comes down to: HOW MUCH MONEY YOU WANT TO SPEND?... the b18c is a great motor but expencive.. i prefer the ls/vtec or b20/vtec....the b18c is built for rpm.... but the LS and b20 blocks have a longer stroke and will make alot or torque. if you build a solid LS/vtec or b20/vtec fully balanced it will rev up great will all the torque and power... i have a turboed LS/vtec fully built. sleeved and all shifting at 9300 rpm and red lining at 9500 rpm.. making 600+ hp to the wheels on 22 pounds boost.

Back