$3000 to spend

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

DerekW

Alright i just recently bought 99 hb runing the stock d16 motor with a t3/t4 turbo. its rather quick now, but going from my vr4 to this isnt gonna work. I have roughly 3000 to spend and i have access to a b18 block and b16. Will i have enough to build a boosted lsvtec, that is somewhat dependable that has atleast 350 to the wheels. Honda is all new to me so if you all dont mind please let me know what all i need to buy, stroke it or what. Also i can get machine work done rather cheap so if thats needed that is easily taken care of.

their are some people who would sleeve,add forged pistons and rods along with a ported head to that d16 and up the boost to 25 psi.
or get the 1.8 and build that

Theres a guy that just made 405WHP on a Y8 with only Vitara pistons and Eagle rods.Stock sleeves and completely stock head.

Fro $3000, I would just build the LS motor for boost and call it a day. I wouldn't talk LSVTEC unless you have the ls block, b16 head, and $3000 left.

LS is good for boost.Buy some rods,pistons,rod bolts,head studs,and piece together a turbo kit.This way you will still have money to go get a good tune.

ls is a good buy. bigger displacment. $3000 is more than enough to get you up and running

see the thing about it is. i can get th b16 head and the b18 block with virtually nohting in wither of them and have roughly 3000 to still spend on building the motor. I already have the turbo setup all ill need is a manifold to boost it.
what kinda valvetrain and bottom end should i buy to put it together

didn't you say you get machine work for almost free???
you should sleeve, cp pistons(i would run 10 :1 or as close to factory compression as possible)eagle rods, and port that b16 head. use a victOr x (jg) manifold and throttle body. get bigger fuel injectors and other misillanous stuff along with a ecu management system and you will have a not to laggy fully capible trubo motor. after you max that t-3 then upgrade to whatever turbo can get you to your hp wishes.

Again this is only what i would do

Last edited:
if your only looking for 350 whp dont sleeve. buy pistons and rods and it will support that in any d/b series engine easily. i would stick with the motor thats in it, pistons and rods and the right tuning and have no problems.

Back