1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

360 HDMI Cable worth $50?

Discussion in 'Computers, Games, Electronics etc' started by BrutalB83, Jul 6, 2009.

1. BrutalB83

BrutalB83 Brutal Moderator Moderator VIP

Alright, I finally have an HDTV now (42" LCD, 1080p), so now I can finally run my 360 in HD. Is the HDMI cable worth paying $50 for, or is not really that different then using the HD component cables that came with the 360?

2. jamesA

jamesA Well known pissed off telephone guy VIP

Does the HD cable that came with the 360 have 6 ends and a switch at the plug on the other end?

3. 95b16coupe

95b16coupe New Member

"worth" is personal opinion. component cables look very different than the hdmi input. you can see the difference, well, at least i could. buy them local, if you dont' notice a difference, just return them and say they don't work or something.

4. jamesA

jamesA Well known pissed off telephone guy VIP

I asked first because I bought an HDMI cable for my 360 before I even realized that the component cable that came with the 360 did the same thing. I hooked them both up one at a time and they looked exactly the same to me.

5. TurboMirage

TurboMirage YEEAAAHHH VIP

the visual difference in the cabling has alot to do with the electronics inside the TV.

the 360 oem cable in HD looks great on my TV. i have an HDMI cable too, which honestly looks ALOT better... but my TV is native up to 1080p and a DLP so...

6. eg6sir

eg6sir Supa Mod Moderator VIP

i bought a cheap one off ebay... so i'd say no, its not worth it

7. 805teggy

805teggy lnly onceda boost is gone

it was worth it for my ps3...

8. Briansol

Briansol Admins Admin VIP

the cable itself is 'worth it'.
    but its not worth $50.

you can score cables cheap elsewhere. the markup on cables is like 120%

9. BrutalB83

Yes, that's the component HD cable. They sell a seperate self-contained HDMI cable, which is supposed to produce better images, but I've heard some people say they can barely tell the difference.

I guess maybe I'll just look for a used one or an off-brand one. Thanks for the input everyone...

Last edited: Jul 6, 2009
  10. eg6sir

eg6sir Supa Mod Moderator VIP

i know the hdmi has better sound.. though the video is unnoticeable to the naked eye

11. BrutalB83

Ah, okay. That makes sense. In that case, I won't hurry to get one. I'm not a huge sound person...

12. 95b16coupe

95b16coupe New Member

you will be with forza 3. the cars are awesome. surround sound if you can.

13. CAFROG

CAFROG Honda Minion VIP

Are you running RCA's now...if so...yes, worth it. Not sure but does the 360 have an optical out for sound and s-video for picture too? I think you can get a great experience from those two and be much cheapier then a good deal on an HDMI for that 360. I have my system (sorry....I'm not a gamer) running HDMI to the TV(just blue ray and HD/DVR cable box) but optical cord ran to my receiver. Some audiophiles think it is still better then HDMI for sound....but its all up to personal opinion. I got my optical cables from amazon for like less ten 5 bucks each (3ft length)

But HDMI is nice b/c its all encompassing and if you move the system out of the entertainment center....its less fuss.

14. jeffie7

jeffie7 Wrong Whole! VIP

No HDMI cable is worth $50.00

sams club sales them for $22ish, Walmart I believe has some in the $25.00 range.

HDMI Cable, Home Theater Accessories, HDMI Products, Cables, Adapters, Video/Audio Switch, Networking, USB, Firewire, Printer Toner, and more! has HDMI cables in the $5-$10 range.

Here's the thing with HDMI cables, they are digital, so there's no good quality or bad quality, they either work or they don't

Paying 30-40-50-60-70-80 bucks for an HDMI cable is just straight up stupid.

15. TurboMirage

TurboMirage YEEAAAHHH VIP

s-video resolution is absolute crap.

16. Ethan

Ethan Well-Known Member

I got 2 free cables so far from time warner cable.

17. VTEC_CBR

VTEC_CBR Senior Member

Winner. I was going to link to www.monoprice.com as well.

18. Briansol

Briansol Admins Admin VIP

in order from crap to best for video:

coax (cable), composite (rca), s-video, vga (pc analog), component (3-RGB cables, supports HD), dvi/hdmi (supports hidef, hdmi adds digital sound to dvi and is backwards compatible).

for audio, it's similar:

coax (aka, headphone style cords), composite (rca), digital coax, optical (fiber), and finally, specially branded system connections, such as Denon's Link Denon USA | AK-DL1 it's mad expensive and only found on real high end gear, but it's the closet thing to direct you can get.

19. 97hatch

97hatch ?

B you forgot about the direct 5.1 outputs that some devices have. I would have to say that they rate between composite and digital coax

20. endlesszeal

endlesszeal Senior Member

component cable can provide up to 1080p, as does HDMI. Why HDMI then?

First its A LOT cleaner and easier to plug in one cable then 5 separate large cables. Secondly, its analog so if the signal is digital, it will go from digital to analog and back to digital (depending on the tv). Theoretically, this will provide a less than desirable image compared to digital to digital. Im blind so I cant tell minute details. Lastly, HDMI can provide HD audio provided you have a high end HD receiver that can decode it.

So with that in mine, HDMI is much better than component. and no it is not worth 50 unless your buying super duper ultra special monster cables (sarcasm; google monster cable tests). Sites like monoprice and meritline have them for $3-5 and usually free shipping. bought them before and will buy from them again.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted