*360 race turbo bearing*

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Icy_winds_

Stacking some doe now.

I'm looking in purchasing a turbocharger (NO not a turbokit nothing like that, just a turbocharger) I'm looking at the specifications and I come across this : 360 Race Bearing. What is that? Other turbos have BallBearing, WTH is a 360 race bearing??? PROS no ammatures here $4,000 turbo's I'm planning on purchasing.

a 360 race bearing is a thrust type bearing it is the best when it comes to thrust bearing but try to go with ball bearings.

I see that 360 Bearing will take any punishment you can dish out, and there ultimate in reliablity. But what about spool time?

if you ask me, bb and the likes a re simply overpriced, and overrated.

all the do is increade your intial spool time a couple hundred rpms.

not worth 2k to me.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Feb 7 2004, 03:26 PM
if you ask me, bb and the likes a re simply overpriced, and overrated.

all the do is increade your intial spool time a couple hundred rpms.

not worth 2k to me.

Ceramic dual ball bearing are just as tuff as 360degree bearings, now it just boils down to spool time. (Depending on sizes) In the same class.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Feb 7 2004, 03:59 PM
ok... and? they're still a waste of money

How do you know? Have you had variations of turbos?

Originally posted by Icy_winds_+Feb 7 2004, 04:01 PM-->
pissedoffsol
@Feb 7 2004, 03:59 PM
ok... and?  they're still a waste of money

I'm not sure about him, but I have. All ball bearings do is reduce lag time. This in turn, allows you to run a larger turbo and still have it streetable. Once a turbo is spooled up, it doesn't matter what kind of bearings it has.

As for a 360° race bearing, it referrs to the thrust bearing on the compressor side of the center section. Most turbos have 270° thrust bearings and do this for oil evacuation reasons. For super crazy fucking nuts 40+ PSI applictions, you want a 360° bearing. Otherwise, don't worry about it.

Also, you guys are confusing ball bearings with thrust bearings... the ball bearings are the bearings that support the shaft and allow it to spin. The thrust bearing is what takes the side loads of the shaft. A thrust bearing has NO impact to spool time.

one thing you have to watch out for but is rare if you dont have a proper functioning BOV and the air rushes back at the compressor it can vibrate the compressor blades and seize the 270/360 bearing, they are more prone to doing this than ball bearings. but really there is no big problem with them. ball bearings are nice for a bit quicker spool up, but if you dont have the money just get the 270/360 bearing turbo.

Originally posted by Loco Honkey+Feb 7 2004, 05:09 PM-->
Originally posted by Icy_winds_@Feb 7 2004, 04:01 PM
pissedoffsol
@Feb 7 2004, 03:59 PM
ok... and?  they're still a waste of money

I'm not sure about him, but I have. All ball bearings do is reduce lag time. This in turn, allows you to run a larger turbo and still have it streetable. Once a turbo is spooled up, it doesn't matter what kind of bearings it has.

As for a 360° race bearing, it referrs to the thrust bearing on the compressor side of the center section. Most turbos have 270° thrust bearings and do this for oil evacuation reasons. For super crazy fucking nuts 40+ PSI applictions, you want a 360° bearing. Otherwise, don't worry about it.

Also, you guys are confusing ball bearings with thrust bearings... the ball bearings are the bearings that support the shaft and allow it to spin. The thrust bearing is what takes the side loads of the shaft. A thrust bearing has NO impact to spool time.

I think i started the confusion and you are correct about the thrust bearing. MB

Back