3rd VTEC Switch gasket blown

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

MazdaAspec

/\ IDIOT ALERT /\
I have blown my second gasket this past weekend. I replaced one 2 weeks ago cuz I was looking for my oil leak and that was it. Well I fixed it and it blew out on less the 200 miles. I replaced it this past weekend and who would have thought it would do that again. Well 50 miles later, it blows out again. It looks like somebody cut it were the filter is on both sides of it and then leaks oil. What can I do to fix this instead of just going to Honda and buying a gasket again???? I will hopefully get picks tonight after bowling. Yes I am a bowler.:p So about 9 O'clock Mountain time. You can't see it that well because of small cracks and part. It is the Edges were the filter is. (Filter not in pics)

Attachments

• Gasket 1.JPG
    Gasket 1.JPG
    317.7 KB · Views: 140
  • Gasket 2.JPG
    Gasket 2.JPG
    263.2 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:
Try putting some corn-starch around the outside of the gasket after you replace it again. Then drive it around with the vtec plug unplugged and check for dark cornstarch every few miles. That'll give you a clue what's going wrong.

Alternatively, you may be squishing the gasket. Try tightening the bolts on the vtec solenoid to the spec in your service manual.

Sorry, but I can't help myself:
sounds lik ur vtec juice is bad

what will corn-starch do for me, and I have it to specs. I have not a clue and also the ppl who work at the local honda dealer dont have a clue.

Corn-starch will make it EXTREMELY easy to see where the oil is leaking from, and when it leaks.

Check both mating surfaces for warpage too.

use black RTV sealant. just a little bit, and smear it around the outer edge. that should prevent the leak from even occuring. i had to do that as well, with my B16

Just put a new seal on it and after you torque it back down, just apply high temp rtv around the casting to mating surface completely all the way around. You should be ok for quite some time.

I am taking the switch off to see if warped at all, if not I am going with the high temp rtv plan. Hey YBLEGAL, are those gram lights on the car???

Back