4th Gen Civic ZC Swap questions

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Aquariust

Hi all, first post:)

I have a std 90 civic hatch with the 70hp mustang eater:) My car has a 4spd, no ac, no power steering, but it does have the multiport injection.

I just purchased a 89 integra ls with the d16a8/9 zc clone motor with 5 spd. The car has ac, and I think it has power steering.

When I do the swap is it possible to make the ac work? Inside the car it has the ac controls (no doubt for the better version of the civic). Also, will the car suddenly have power steering?

Is the ac more trouble than it's worth? I know it robs horsepower, but those hot sticky days make me wonder. It may be impossible, in that case I will just cut it all off.

And the power steering isn't important to me either, as I have none now. But if I can have it, it would be nice.

Does anyone have any advice, ideas, insight on these questions? I really appreciate it!

-John

my advice is to take it off because u will have way more room and it does rob some power. the zc really doesnt make much hp in the first place so u will notice the difference

no, the car will not "suddenly have power steering" just having the pump wont do any thing (kinda like hoping the car will run a 12 if u set a turbo in the trunk) you need p/s lines the box, colum and a lot of other little pieces. i have never done a convesion to p/s but hey you could try...... and yah the swap would be fun but whats wrong with the teg????

the 89 usdm d16 teg motor won't fit in your car. mounts are diff. plus is only has like 110hp compared to the zc's 130ish. i'd sell the teg and buy a real zc.

He is right, You could probably get it to fit but why. If your engine is in good shape put the pistons and rods from the teg into your std block.

Are you sure? I've read quite a few sites and all said it would work. I was under the impression the d16 dohc is like a sister to the zc, and would be interchangable. And the zc is interchangable with my d15 sohc. Any one know of any diy websites where the made new motor mounts for a swap? I have quite a few connections with metal works and if I had pics I could have them made for me.

Jeff, my std is a sohc, and the d16 is a dohc, so I should get more power. Even if it's only 40 or 50 hp it's better than nothing. I plan to re build the motor anyway, so I'll probaly throw some perf parts in anyway. To me it's just a toy, I drive it to and from work like I'm in the daytona 500, and every month or so go to the track and run it. That's it! I'm a husband and father and right now it's just a hobby. Maybe one day when it really catches my attention, I'll drop a b18 in and go nuts. I'd really like to drive scca.

t0pk0w thanks for the info on the ps. I really didn't care anyway, but I was like hey, if it's a quick and cheap addition to the swap, why not do it. Oh well.

Those intrested in my 89 teg look here, just bought it on ebay for $204:)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...RK%3AMEBWN%3AIT

Thanks guys, keep the info coming please...

plus is you were gonna run in scca you might as well get a good motor swap if you gonna do one at all. since that puts you in a class with other b16a,b18c's and other more powerful motors.

Back