8500 RPM on LS Bottom

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

JDMH22Integra

Can a stock LS bottom end get itself up to 8500 RPMS, and if not, what would be the most reliable (dont read cheapest) way to have an 8500 RPM LS bottom (have the head covered)

You will want to sleeve, higher compresson pistons and rods, cams, and valve springs and retainers and it should hold up to 8500 but not much more.

Originally posted by integraslut78@Sep 1 2004, 08:20 PM
You will want to sleeve, higher compresson pistons and rods, cams, and valve springs and retainers and it should hold up to 8500 but not much more.
[post=384963]Quoted post[/post]​

why not much more?

first of all. LS blocks can REV up in the 9000 RPM range ONLY if they are built and prepped for that kind of stress.

Stock LS bottom ends can handle 8000K and 8500 is pushing it. Mainly because most of the LS bottom ends out there have plenty of miles and arent up to that type of stress. bearings are wearing out, oil pump may not be able to handle it as well.

I wouldnt suggest taking it up past 8000rpm in stock form.

I think the block would hold up just fine.. you just have to have a good valve train: cams, valve/retainers. Thats all you should really need to worry about. Just my .02

there is absolutely NO point in sleeving a motor to gain 800 rpms. Talk about a waste of 1k.

If you want the bottom end to spin to 8k, the oil things i'd replace are the rods and oil pump.

the reason the gsr can rev so high is because of the oil squiters it has. THe ls doesnt have them to keep things extra cool and lubricated.

You do NOT! need to reslevve the block. Stock ls slevves have worked fine for me. Iam up to 9500rpms using a ferra valvetrain, itr cams, .25over pr3 pistons, stock ls rods and crank. No problems at all. The rotating assembly has been balanced and new itr oil pump. Ive driven on this car for around 15K miles now with not one problem. My suggestion is to go with your bottom end use arp rod bolts, and upgrade the vavletrain and cams.

Originally posted by allbottledup@Sep 3 2004, 07:32 AM
the reason the gsr can rev so high is because of the oil squiters it has. THe ls doesnt have them to keep things extra cool and lubricated.
[post=385671]Quoted post[/post]​

If you run with forged or coated pistons, you don't need the oil squirters. Quite a few modded engines actually run without the oil squirters to reduce windage losses or because they just won't fit.

I'll throw in my .02

If you want to run at above 8500, I am assuming you will already have the engine built to actually make power up there, right? High compression pistons, higher lift/duration camshafts are both going to be necessary. To keep the bottom end from spinning bearings, which is usually what happens when you spin a ls bottom end that fast (known by personal experience), you will need to update the oiling system. This means a b16/gsr/itr oil pump, because the ls one is garbage. The ls pump does not put out a high enough oil pressure to maintain a good film of oil on the bearings at high rpm, so you end up rubbing the bearing material down to nothing, and then the klunking starts. A b16/itr oil cooler is also a good uprade, but any oil cooler will work. You can also shotpeen the stock ls rods for a little cheap insurance if you don't want to fork over the cash for some forged ones. Get the bottom end balanced, no questions asked.

For the top end, definitely get a valve train to keep up with the new camshafts you are getting, and you should be fine up top.

Originally posted by allbottledup@Sep 3 2004, 05:32 AM
[post=385671]Quoted post[/post]​

The gsr can rev higher safely because it has a shorter stroke than the LS, and the better r/s ratio means less sideloading on the cylinder walls. As well as all the lubrication issues already addressed.

Back