86 accord

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

eyesonlybob

ok, i have updated problems and thought id make a new thread.

i changed the oil in my brothers car the other day, after i finished i started the car and a white puff of smoke came out the exhaust for a good 5 seconds. started looking around for leaks, and noticed an oil leak:

s3f046295eb15d.jpg

thats some hose comming from somewhere i dont know into the oil pan. i havent had a chance to clean things up and watch it to see where the oil comes from. it might be dripping from somewhere else onto that hose. making it appear that the hose is leaking.

as far as the white smoke. its burning coolant right? but it only happens when the car is started. i did a compression test on it, and these are the results:

1-155
2-160
3-150
4-120

test done when hot.

that doesnt really explain why its burning coolant though. does it? help please. thanks

blue smoke is oil. our #4 cylender was pretty low compaired to the otehr 3, so chances are your problem has something to do with that cylender.

well, the smoke is white. so its not burning oil. but a bad piston ring wouldnt cause it to burn coolant, would it?

Originally posted by eyesonlybob@Jul 7 2003, 01:31 PM
well, the smoke is white. so its not burning oil. but a bad piston ring wouldnt cause it to burn coolant, would it?

nah. each piston has 3 rings. 2 compression rings, to prevent blow by, and 1 oil ring, which is basically like 3 rings in one. you say its not buring oil so the oil ring is not the problem. you could have a cracked head gasket, which is causing your low compression, which is also allowing coolent into the cylender. the only other thing i can think of is a cracked block, but deffinately check the head gasket first.

:werd: :withstupid:

and just as a general rule as far as smokes go:
white -- coolant
blue -- oil
black -- running rich or carbon deposits

so is there anything to do to make sure that its the head gasket. my dad doesnt want to rip the head off, unless were 100% certain that it will fix the problem.

Check the oil, if it seems milky in any way then it should be the head gasket.

well...i just changed the oil. so as of right now, it looks fine. it hasnt been drivin much since then, so it hasnt circulated much. ill check it, again when its been driven more.

i was looking at the pics i took, and cyl #4's plug is darker than the rest.

s3f0a445479993.jpg

for the white smoke id definitly say the head gasket. but for having oil on the spark plug id say its the spark plug gaskets which are like 43 cents each. if you want to check the spark plug gaskets all you have to do is rip off the valve cover and where your plugs go in there should be a little rubber gasket around it. see if thats junk and you could possibly solve your problem. also replace your valve cover gasket if you pull off your valve cover since it probably has never been or recently replaced ~7$ at honda.

i'd have a reputable shop do a leak down test. it does sound like a head gasket though.

if they hear the air at:

bubbles in coolant (so i've heard) = head gasket
intake manifold = intake valves
muffler = exhaust valves
crank = rings

Originally posted by eyesonlybob@Jul 8 2003, 10:38 AM
plugs were dry when i pulled them out. #4 was darker, thats all.

well that eliminates one problem. id definitly pull the head gasket :(

Back