'86 CRX Swap Question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

jseaton325

Hey guys, so I'm new to the CRX game. I had a buddy that owned this car and i wanted it so bad, dude knew nothing about it. I love old school Honda's and my very first car was an 87 prelude Si...love at first site. Any way i got the CRX from him for 100 bucks after he broke the camshaft in half!

So the carb EW motor is gone, now its swap time. I need some help, i've read hundreds of things on swaps for the rex, but i have a unique situation. I got this crx for one thing and one thing only. I need a track rat, i love love love Honda power and how they sound tearing up a track. Drag strip to be precise. I do not care about down time, I have a daily driver and the crx is just setting in the back yard right now.

I have an obsession with the K20 motor, but have read that it's a huge project and won't fit very well in the 1st gen rex. But I want to know what would be best, not necessarily what i want.

I have a budget thats flexible around 1200 bucks, as of right now and could buy some now and some later. I have really good engineering skills, and have availability to machine shops and fabricators.

Sorry this is so long, but i wont be posting much just want to see what some guys who have experience with this would say. Thank you guys for any help, please no flames i just want some help!

Yeah i've seen a full k20 swap bear minimum is 6k so yeah i know, i just would love to do a N/A k20 in an old school crx. I would still like to go N/A with whatever i end up getting.

moz-screenshot.png
IMG_0830.jpg

I just love the way this looks, i mean come on! But what are some other options besides the k20, that i could do and get some respectable power/torque numbers

z6 swap, homemade turbo kit.

can be done for 1200 bucks and will likely get you to 225-250 hp

Yeah that sounds good, i've got spare turbo parts and i know where i can get a turbo for pretty cheap, that sounds really good. Thanks guys helps out a ton

i found a 95' Civic with a D15 for 900 bucks, thats totaled, any reason i should jump on this one or should i get the 99 Civic for 1400 bucks with a D16?

z6 swap, homemade turbo kit.

can be done for 1200 bucks and will likely get you to 225-250 hp

This to is a option, using the 86-89 integra transmission and mounts, the EW3/4 drivers side mount will bolt to 88-00 D series block but has to be cut and shortened to fit. Brian @ hasport has made it known that D series swap mounts for the 1st/3rd gen chassis are on the list. When theyll come out who knows? He too races a 1st gen rex....

Enjoy
http://www.redpepperracing.com/forums/index.php?act=home

http://www.redpepperracing.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=20487

http://www.redpepperracing.com/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

Last edited:
Ight man thanks, i think I'm going for the z6 for sure, it seems like the cheapest yet best thing for what i'm running

I've been on redpepper racing many times, those guys do some amazing things, maybe one day my rex will be K'd lol

This to is a option, using the 86-89 integra transmission and mounts, the EW3/4 drivers side mount will bolt to 88-00 D series block but has to be cut and shortened to fit. Brian @ hasport has made it known that D series swap mounts for the 1st/3rd gen chassis are on the list. When theyll come out who knows? He too races a 1st gen rex....

Enjoy
Red Pepper Racing

D16z6 Writeup....sticky? - Red Pepper Racing

Main Page - RPRWiki

Man thanks a ton for this write up stuff, this will be helpful once i get into everything. :D

There's a z6 here in a local pull it.. Memphis isn't tooo far away. 3hrs??
That is if you can't find one there.

E

yeah man thats not a problem at all memphis is def not that far away, i'll check into it

I believe it's the "U-pull it" on Watkins in the North part of Memphis.
You would probably come up on I-40 right to the Watkins exit.
They can only tell you if they have a _____ car, not what's still on it.

E

Back