87 accord head gasket

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

philyphreak2127

Back in the Game
Hey guys I was recently approached about doing a head gasket on an 87 accord. Just wondering if anyone has any hints/tips on the quickest or easiest way to do it. Any horror stories anything you feel like posting. Thanks guys!

I helped with swapping out a head gasket - later I read a little "trick" I wish we had done. before you take off the timing belt, make a mark (with chalk or something) from the belt to the camshaft pulley. When you put the timing belt back on (ours was brand-new so it didn't need to be replaced) you know you put it on exactly where it came off.

We got lucky.

Hope it helps.

I just did one on my chrysler. They're a pain. Since the engines are so different I don't know if i have any knowledge that can be of use to you, nor do I know how much you know so I may just be repeating things you've already heard, but anyway,

-Sandwich bags work great for storing bolts.
-Make sure the surfaces are clean.
-Depending on the motor, you may not need to pull the manifolds to swap the gasket. But it's still better to do so.
-Common sense, but if you're working outside like I was, Don't do it shirtless. 7 hours in the sun on an 84 degree day did wonders on my skin. The term hell comes to mind actually.
-make sure the motor's at tdc. It will make timing easier. Just in case it gets messed up.

+ 1 on that timing belt trick. I wish i would have known about that too.

Last edited:
Hi there, so have u finish this job? I took this 87 Accord head off over a year ago, but discovered it was a cracked head. Got too busy w/ other stuffs..... 1 1/2 yrs later, I found a new head from a wrecking yard got it resurfaced n cleaned. About to put it on. At the moment I'm trying to make sure why don't all of the gasket holes match the holes on the head, but it seems that's how it's designed.
If you have finished, can you give me some tips installing the head? If u haven't, you can ask me anything about taking it off.
Thanks
Kobe
Seattle

I have done several of these heads ovr the years but it has been a while since I have done one. The nuts on the underneath of the intake are a bear to get to. Remove oil filter and you can get to them easier. Two lines on the back of the cam timing sprocket indicate where the timing needs to be when you put back together, they align with the top edge of the head. The mark on the flywheel when you look into the hole of the bell housing of the tranny. I believe it is either a red or white mark is on TDC.

Back