1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

87 CRX si

Discussion in 'Civic and CRX - EW' started by crxpower, Feb 20, 2007.

1. crxpower

crxpower New Member

Bought this car last july, i beat the fuck out of it by delivering pizza for around 5 months until i warped the clutch to the point where i couldn't get started. anyways long story short i fixed it all up and blew the motor last night rallying it up in the snow. I was just going to get rid of the car but a friend of mine sold me a dohc ZC out of his del so for 250$, the first order of business is to swap out the motor which i can do pretty easily, but i don't want to stop there my goal is to turbo it. I want to get atleast around 200+ out of it. so my question is what would you guys do it.

I am already going to replace the pistons, cams,rods, and possible convert it to V-tec. I've been told the vtec head is expensive and i only want to spend around $2000 on this thing, so if any of you can point my in the right direction it would be appreicated.

2. boostin4fun

boostin4fun Boosted ls/vtec ohh yeah!

I dont believe that a vtec head will fit a zc block. I have never heard of anyone doing that, but I could be wrong. I would just build the bottom end and keep the head the way it is but get a valve job done. Then boost it up some. Here are some good instructions for getting it wired up http://www.zcspeed.com/SiZCwiring.pdf

3. 1goldteg

1goldteg 1st Gen CRX lover

Are you sure its a ZC and which ZC is it?

4. crxpower

crxpower New Member

It's a 1st gen ZC, i just picked up the motor today, and i am going to start getting the motor ready for a turbo.

5. Celerity

Celerity Well-Known Member

That head doesn't fit.

And thanks for beating the piss out of a perfectly good car.

6. crxpower

crxpower New Member

i wouldn't call 320,000 miles prefectly good, but one things for sure i have alot more respect for honda's after owning this car thats for sure. anyways if anyone can give me a website or magizine where they sell honda parts for a D16 it would be cool. It'll will be about 2 weeks before i start buying parts for this engine because i spent all of it on the engine and car insurance.

7. Celerity

Celerity Well-Known Member

The only place you'll find parts for this car are sites like this, and more specifically - THIS SITE. You can try Redpepperracing.com too.

I have some bits I'll be selling when I get done with the move. I'm right thinking of building up a D15 for my CRX, but my EW4 is godly.

It's got 285k miles on it.
    [​IMG]

8. crxpower

crxpower New Member

9. jlicrx

jlicrx Senior Member

the part in the 1st picture is the Cylinder Sensor on the end of the exhaust camshaft - the piece that is broken in the 2nd picture is the #6 exhaust camshaft cap - you can get one from any 86-87 (not 88-89) Integra

10. crxpower

crxpower New Member

the broken piece is the mount for the distrubuator right? I was talking with a friend of mine and he told me i could just get it welded and re thread it.

anyways the motor didn't come with a distrubuator so i need to buy a new one. Would i get this from the dealer? or should i go with a aftermarket.

1st gen dohc zc = d16a1?

11. jlicrx

jlicrx Senior Member

the broken piece is the top mount for the Cylinder Sensor (the part in the other picture) - the cylinder sensor mounts on the end of the exhaust camshaft which is closest to the front of the engine - the distributor mounts to the end of the intake camshaft which is closest to the back of the engine - get a #6 exhaust camshaft cap from junkyard from 86-87 (not 88-89) Integra - the distributor is also from 86-87 (not 88-89) Integra - 1st gen DOHC ZC does not = D16A1 - the ZC is JDM and is 135hp - the D16A1 is USDM and is 113hp - they are similar, but not the same

12. delsoul

delsoul honda hooker

I just picked up this one the other day.. traded an older big screen TV for it.. I have it stripped down pretty good now, and trying to decide how much I want to put into it myself.. its an 87 si, ~236,000 on it. runs great still, and drives.

Id like to hear how your motor swap goes.. keep us posted :)

[​IMG]

13. crxpower

crxpower New Member

with this next pay check i will be buying a turbo, and i know next to nothing about turbos, so my question is can i buy a kit or do i have to make my own...and when i mount the intercooler will it bold straight up or will i have to do some cutting and welding to make it work?

14. crxpower

crxpower New Member

also, does the tranny from my crx si bolt up to the zc? if it does should i use that one or get my zc tranny rebuilt?

15. 84K10

84K10 New Member

I guess If I was going to plan on spending $2000 I wouldn't have spent it building a ZC when I could have done a B16 swap with bolt-ons. As you are going to spend alot more than 2K getting a properly tuned turbo setup.

16. jlicrx

jlicrx Senior Member

the CRX Si transmission will not bolt up to the D16A1/ZC engine - to put that engine in your car, you will need 86-89 Integra transmission, intermediate shaft, axles, knuckles/hubs and shift linkage - you will need 86-87 (not 88-89) Integra PG7 ECU

17. crxpower

crxpower New Member

what tranny comes stock with the ZC then? J8B are inscripted on the current tranny that came with it, if that means anything.

18. 1gcvcb18

1gcvcb18 New Member

Ive heard you can use a 88-91 civic tranny on the zc engine try doing some research on that.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted