1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

87 DOHC in a 89 hatch

Discussion in 'ECU's, Electronics, and Tuning' started by Yspeed, Jun 21, 2004.

1. Yspeed

Yspeed Member

Well I have a 89 Si with a 87 ZC in it, The harness hooked up fine. Do you see any problem with me starting it. I heard there is much more wiring involed The only wires I have left is TBC and cam angle sensor. So should I start it? Or will I wreck something. Thanx for the help

Matt

2. radnulb

radnulb Senior Member

will not start. needs the distributor from the later motor. should be fine with the later distributor.

3. radnulb

radnulb Senior Member

I'd kinda like to see pictures of your motor mounts if you're using a 1G brown top ZC in a 4G chassis.

4. Yspeed

Yspeed Member

Ya I have the Distributer, for the 87 and it fits.As for the mount my dad built it himslef But I will post a pic soon.Thanx for the help, I will try to start it to today.

Matt

5. radnulb

radnulb Senior Member

you need a 88-89 distributor.
    You'll also need the cam caps (things under valve cover that dist. bolts to) to use the later distributor. The 87 distributor will NOT work with a 89 Civic chassis / ECU

6. Yspeed

Yspeed Member

What are the cam caps? But I have the pm7 ecu? I just checked the dist. and it fits so does the rotor. I plug the wires in and they fit all I have to do is wire up the coil for the distributor. I seen the cam caps so I know what your talking about, Like I see no reasion to change the distributor. Even tho it has a coil out side the cap. I'm new to this hole wiring thing,so what eve Thanx for the help

7. radnulb

radnulb Senior Member

Listen. If you're new to this, you should listen.

You have a 4th gen civic chassis with an ECU that expects an electronic advance distributor, i.e. ECU controls timing.

The motor you have is from a 87 integra with a vacuum advance distributor - i.e. the ECU doesn't control timing.

You need to either:
    1. get the 87 teg ECU and convert the wiring in your car back to vacuum advance
    2. get the 88-89 distributor and wire it up properly.

Failure to do so will cause your car to not run. Same kinda deal as mixing OBD0 + OBD1 crap, just older.

I already told you what cam caps are btw. They have 2 - 10mm bolts and fit over the end of the cams. The distributor bolts to them. You need to swap them because the cam caps are different from 86-87 to 88-89. You need to take the valvecover off to get to the cam caps.

8. cheese9988

cheese9988 Senior Member VIP

I have a 87 integra ecu (pg7) that I can sell you cheap :D

9. Yspeed

Yspeed Member

Ight thanx for the help,Now I have the 87 wires can I till use them? How hard is it to wire the Distributor?

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted