87 Integra: Swaping on 88-89 Head

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Hyperi0n

I picked up a 87 Integra (86-97 D16A1, aka Browntop ZC) with blown valves (timing belt went).

I can pick up a 88 head with its dizzy and sensor (and maaaaayyybe ecu) for a good price from a stmotorsports. (d-series.org)

His ecu has been flooded and might not work (assuming he could even find it).

I'm curious if I can swap on the 88 head, mount my 87 dizzy to the 88 head with a single bolt (until i get an adapter or make one), and wire in the 88 crank angle sensor to my current harness/ecu. This thread on d-series.org ( http://www.d-series.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10106 ) does exaclty the opposite, take a 87 dizzy and put it on an 88. If that works, the other way should work to.

Will this combination work?

Thanks,
Hyperi0n

take the cam cap (piece that goes under valvecover that distributor bolts to) and swap it from youtr 87 head to the 88 head. You won't need to do anything else for the distributor. 86-87 tegs don't have any sensors in the distributor - they're points/vac advance.

what are you doing with the motor?

if you have an 87 teg, i would advise you swpa the 88 head, and swap all the 87 head parts to the 88 head, ie: dist...

i would advise against trying to switch your car to use the 88 ecu...

So the dizzy switch (87 on 88) will work, then I don't need to switch the ecu.

What about the crank angle sensor? Do I use the 87 one or the 88 one? Does it matter to the ecu which one I use? Can I mount the 87 on onto the 88 head by having switched the cam cap over?

Redneckracing: The car is just a beater, so what am I doing to the motor? Just driving like normal, with the occasional WOT/REDLINE :).

Back