88 civic wagon surging/ stalling

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

hondagrrrrrl

My 88 honda civic wagon surges intermittently( feels like the car is rocking back and forth rythmnically like a heart beat every second when at around 1500 rpm at lower speeds) and recently began stalling at highway speeds. I can go a full 2 hour drive and not have a surge, or at least not one that I notice, but then it will act up.

When it stalls out it will sometimes start right away and keep running but more often will stall back out. Sometimes it wont start at all. The fuel pump was not turning on after the stalls. I took it to the mechanics and they replaced the fuel filter, air filter, fuel pump, fule filter relay,cleaned the throttle body and disrtibutor and checked/cleaned the fuel injector.

It still is surging and I don't want to go through the scare of taking it back on the HWY to see if it will stall.

My mechanic is at a loss. Anyone have nay ideas? I just bought this car used 2 weeks ago and already spent a wad of cash trying to get this issue fixed.

Back