88 Integra engine into 88 CRX Si?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Lopsided_Idol

Last saturday my 88 teg's well-worn suspension finally gave out with a grand finale of two ball joints and a shock tower breaking all at once.. so rather than spend the $$$ fixing the thing i'm contemplating taking the D16AWhatever from the integra and lowering the sucka into an 88 CRX Si.
The only thing stopping me is the fact that an 87 integra engine into an 88 CRX swap has been covered up and down on this website and many others, but an 88 teg to 88 crx hasn't. I'm planning on keeping the Si tranny too.

I've read about the change from vacuum advance to electronic advance, but that didn't seem too difficult to work with (i'll probablly end up kicking myself later for minimizing that problem :bawling:). Is there anything else like engine mount mismatching i have to watch out for?

I know there were some changes made between the 87 and 88 model years in the integra, but were they drastic enough to really mess with an easy swap in to my 88 CRX Si? Thats my main question.

:imfucktard:

The 88 should be electronic advance, sicne the 88-89 teg ecus work perfect with 4th gens. I know the mounts are in different places so it will be a bitch to get it in there for not much of a power gain. I would just drop in a sohc vtec or a zc if yuou are sticking d series.

Ya im putting the same motot in my 90 crx hf.I ran into probs also.the front engine mount wont match up. You will be missing a bolt in the starter.Thats as far as i got.I never got to the vaccume part. i have to take out my tranny just to change flywheel make sure u use the integra flywheel.So if u are going to do this keep in touch.Really looking foward to hearing u.

Originally posted by joesbadcrx@Aug 5 2004, 11:05 PM
Ya im putting the same motot in my 90 crx hf.I ran into probs also.the front engine mount wont match up. You will be missing a bolt in the starter.Thats as far as i got.I never got to the vaccume part. i have to take out my tranny just to change flywheel make sure u use the integra flywheel.So if u are going to do this keep in touch.Really looking foward to hearing u.
[post=373249]Quoted post[/post]​

Ja, I looked a lil closer today and took measurements of the engine bay and the placements of the mounts, my darkest fears confirmed... no simple bolt in swap for me. :cockblocked:

Anyway. Have you found a way to get yours to mount up? Or have you gotten that far yet? I think the ignition problem will be relatively easy if i can use my integra ecu.. which i don't see much of a problem with. yet.

But then again, this is my first ever swap and the most intense work i've done on a car before was adjusting valve lash. I might just break down and buy a ZC eventually, but right now I can't let this car defeat me.

I have a sinking feeling that this is going to come down to fabricating mounts.

ya i got all my mount on except the front motor mount.And if i was u use a hf tranneyor a si.I am useing the hf right now.Just make sure u use the integra flywheel.And there will be one more prob for u is the wireing there is one that u have a choice on is cutting it or just pull the mout and put it in were it belongs. Other than that should be easy. But ya the zc motor will be alot easier. Im only doing this swap casue i cant afford to buy a zc motor right now.Or i would.

Heh, thats the same reason i'm not putting a ZC in. My integra's suspension borked and my friend just happened to have a CRX with a blown engine. Maybe one of these days we'll afford our ZCs.
My fingers are still crossed on the current swap. I'm taking the integra's engine out tomorrow when my friend brings his hoist over and i'm hoping we can figure out where and how to make the modifications to the mount(s).

Good luck with yours and thanks for the info!

Well, its confirmed. The D16A1 from an 88 integra WILL NOT fit into an 88 CRX Si. WILL NOT . Though people have given me different opinions on the subject, I've seen it with my own eyes. The driver's side mount doesn't match up at all.
ZC it is! I found one on ebay motors for $550 :D

YA well i got my d16a1 t owork everything will work just have to cut your mount off the crx and well the integra mount on 1 1/2 cm forward .So ya it isnt that bad of a swap.But tryd to help

Back