1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

88 prelude speedometer not working

Discussion in 'Prelude' started by 88preludeanth, Jul 11, 2006.

  1. 88preludeanth

    88preludeanth Junior Member

    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2006
    hey guys hope someone can help

    recently bought my 88 prelude at auction so didnt see that the speedo was not working, odometer was fine so went to a yard picked up a new cluster.
    installed it and still no speedometer
    followed the cables from the cluster and i now see the cable is not plugging into the thing on the transaxle (first question what is that thing called?)
    so plugged it into that thing it is still not secure, it can just be pulled out and soemtimes even falls out. it it ment to have a clip or something?

    anyway now the speedometer only goes to about 20 when iam doing well over that

    any suggestions please anyone help
     
  2. LuDe&ReXrUnNiN

    LuDe&ReXrUnNiN Junior Member

    Messages:
    3
    Likes Received:
    0
    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2006
    I have the same problem with my 89 lude, and my dad says that the speedo gear needs to be replaced. try that, i havent done it yet but i got the speed figured out by my rpm's.
     
  3. 88preludeanth

    88preludeanth Junior Member

    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2006
    fixed my speedo

    what i did was take out the air filter unit to get access to the gear
    pull out the two pipes running to the gear
    replaced a worn pipe
    made a clip out of metal to clip the speedo cable in properly
    put the gear back in and realised it was never sitting properly so i took at it with a hammer to smash it down which worked it sat in its place and is now working perfectly
     
  4. Bigtiny

    Bigtiny Junior Member

    Messages:
    3
    Likes Received:
    0
    Joined:
    Aug 7, 2006
    A clip is needed

    I have an 89 Prelude and my speedo went out. The lower section of the two part cable broke at the swadged on square fitting going into the transaxel. It gave me fits before it finnally broke all the way. All kinds of erronious speed indications. When it did break and the speedometer went dead and it also effected the car's autamatic transmission's ability to shift and the torque converter wouldn't lock up. A new lower section of cable is under $40 at the dealer - curred all my ills.
     
Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted

Share This Page