89 + 93 octane = ?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

MadMaXXX

Mad Man
ye so my legend requires premium fuel, thats 90 octane right?

yesterday i had some gas left in the tank and filled up the rest with mid grade which is 89 in florida while premum is 93

i didnt notice any engine knock or anything

so i was wondering if it was a good idea to save some money on gas and fill up 1/4 93 and 3/4 tank 89

kinda confusing, but i dunno i would like your guys opinions because gas is getting pretty expensive

I have acidently filled with 89 when my car was on "e" one time because stupid moblie has premium in the middle, and I didn't notice it. Didn't really notice too much diffrence, just millage was a little lower.

(not to sure about Ledgends but) if it has a knock sensor, in a bind you could run even lowgrade gas, however, your going to run rich as hell, and the igntion will run extremly retarded so you'll also get horrible performance.

Oh, and wrong forum :moved:

Originally posted by 92civicb18b1@Apr 23 2005, 07:37 PM
89+89+89+91/4= 90

So your on par.
[post=490632]Quoted post[/post]​

yea, but premium by honda (at least for the GSR engine) is 91, not 90

I don't think you'll have any pinging problems at all.

Most gas stations have 91 as the min. premium fuel, but there's a few around here that'll go from 90-94 for premium.

I usually try to get 93 since I'm spending the money anyway.

true, but ask anyone who is making big horsepower and on the verge of needing race gas and they will tell you that some stations 91 is better than other stations 93

in MN our Holiday stations have 93 premium and my car runs like crap on it as opposed to the 92 that Super America has

and my buddy with a 400hp subie will back that up with the data logging junk he has in his car

anyway, if you can't afford the type of fuel your car needs then buy a different car... otherwise buck up and pay it

Originally posted by 2000Si@Apr 24 2005, 04:15 PM
I don't think you'll have any pinging problems at all.

Most gas stations have 91 as the min. premium fuel, but there's a few around here that'll go from 90-94 for premium.

I usually try to get 93 since I'm spending the money anyway.
[post=490892]Quoted post[/post]​

for sure.
i won't even go to a citgo, hess, or other station besides shell/mobile/exxon

Originally posted by seanjuan@Apr 25 2005, 11:37 PM
true, but ask anyone who is making big horsepower and on the verge of needing race gas and they will tell you that some stations 91 is better than other stations 93

in MN our Holiday stations have 93 premium and my car runs like crap on it as opposed to the 92 that Super America has

and my buddy with a 400hp subie will back that up with the data logging junk he has in his car

anyway, if you can't afford the type of fuel your car needs then buy a different car... otherwise buck up and pay it

it is true that different oil companies put different detergents and additives in their fuels, but you must also take into account that gas goes bad... if you buy premium from a station that people mostly buy regular from, then the premium gas is going to be old. also, buying a new car because gas is expensive is not really a good solution IMO.

also, shell has good gas from my experiences. just thought i'd throw that in there. shell owns texaco or chevron now (can't remember which) so theoretically, you can get the same gas at shell, and texaco or chevron. however, always take age of fuel into consideration.

Back