89 Civic DX D16a6 Swap Help needed

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

shidao

Hi all,
I am new to the forums and have searched many hours looking for an answer to a problem that I have. I just became the owner of a project car that was started but never finished. Its an 1989 civic dx. The motor was swaped out for a D16A6.
Here is what has been done and verified so far.

1. Car runs.... this is good.
2. Wired for MPFI, all seems ok here as well, unless i missed something
3. ECU = p75 0BD1 has OBD1 Conversion Harness installed as well

Now here is the problem. Car runs, idles and drives fine untill it hits 3200rpm.
Then it goes into what would be a rev limiter state. Not allowing it to go past this rpm. Which makes me believe that the ecu has gone into its safe mode as I call it.

The car does have a check light on, this could be due to the fact that I believe the d16a6 had a different number of wires going to the O2 censor than the original dx motor had.

Was curious if anyone else has run into this problem before. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Again I am counting on the gurus to help get this old man into civic duty!.... lol

Thanks in advance.

If it were to be a bad dizzy, what would be the voltages/ impedence I would see if it were good, this way I can verify that this one is bad before I buy another.

I know they dont cost that much from a bone yard and dollars are not the issue either, just dont want to replace it if i dont have to...:)

Or if anyone could point me in the direction of said info would be greatly helpfull

Ok, the idea behind the dizzy was correct. Now keep in mind I inhereted a frankenstien car...lol. The Prior owner sold the car because he could not get it to run correctly. The dizzy is the problem child. This I should have known since the ecu being used is a p75, which is an OBD1 ecu.

The factory dizzy is still installed on the d16a6. This wont work. I am in need of a OBD1 dizzy. Any suggestions as to what model I can nab this dizzy from that will work?

92-95 Civic is what you want. Make sure all the rest of your car is set up for OBD1 before you do that- you might need a non-OBD distributor for everything to work.

Ok, now you have lost me completely. I was under the impression that the dizzy was the distributor. If the car is wired for OBD1 then one would think that I need that distributor. But you stated that I may need a non OBD distributor. Which is now confusing me. I know alot about cars as I have been building customs for over 17 years. I know very little about hondas as this is why I am asking you guys. I just need a little clarification as to why a non OBD dist. may be needed used on a OBD1 setup....please bring me into the light, I am trying to learn as much as I can about these conversions, as I know very little. Ask me about a sr20det swap into a 240sx and I can give every little bit of info anyone would want to know......lol

thanks again for the help

ok i know you have said this but lets make it easy
1. what motor is in your car

oh yea off the subject but im putting a ca18det in my 200sx turbo lol:D

Well ok here comes the info.....

Motor: d16a6 rebuilt forged pistons, forged rods, etc
ecu: p75 OBD1
Its has the MPFI conversion done...
Wired for OBD1 as well

Intake/fuel injection ipt performance

need any other info?

1989 dx hatch

....on the subject of 200sx

I just recently put a ca18et in a 200sx.....simple swap little involved
Boosted it to 13 lbs on stock bottom with no probs...have not had it on the dyno yet......

Runs real strong......

sweet about the 200sx, but on to your civic the d16a6 is a obdo motor so i would think you would need a obdo dizzy

That does bring up a very good question. I dont not have an answer as to why the prior owner converted it to OBD1 except the dist. I am only guessing as someone had either given him or he bought the wrong ecu to run the car. Even though I have found all kinds of info stating that this ecu would run the car without difficulties. Which would explain the reason. I was only trying to finish the project with what was already in the car. So the item I need then would be a PM6 ecu. This would be the correct way to do this, right?
Keeping in mind this car is getting a garrett t4 strapped to her..and will be running 14lbs of boost. What ecu tools would you recommend for remapping after the ecu get altered?

Last edited:
Its funny that you mentioned provided you dont have the 4 wire O2 censor.....thats another thing the other owner did wrong. He had a p75 OBD1 ecu running and still had the OBD0 o@ in the car...lol

So anyways.....This is what I accomplished on the car today. Yanked the stupid p75 OBD1 ecu frim the car, removed the conversion harness as well.

Purchased a new (real, not a fake or anything from ebay) Jun PM6 Chipped ECU

As soon as it arrives I am sure that all will be well.

After all is said and done, the car gets boosted. And not no wimpy 8lbs. either.

This car is going to be used soley for racing.....

And before everyone or anyone says anything about why did you decide to stick with the SOHC and not go b16 or b18.... I will tell you why.

One, I already have the motor.
Two, why not it is a good strong motor
Three, because that motor can produce the same results as any other swap
as long as you are willing to spend the dough to do it.:D

I just am the lucky one that I dont have to be on a budget, and I like to be the odd ball out of the group...lol if that makes any sense.
For example.....my daily driver is a 700hp 1970 Cadillac. See what I mean, who in their right mind would build a 700hp cadillac? Me!:D

So I love to be different, told I cant do it, and then show that I can.

I want to thank all of you for the info that helped me get my first race honda onto the streets. I will keep this post updated as to the progress and post a link with pics and the dyno runs as soon as I can get it on the dyno.....still have to break in the motor before I go all out!

Well ok here comes the info.....

Motor: d16a6 rebuilt forged pistons, forged rods, etc
ecu: p75 OBD1
Its has the MPFI conversion done...
Wired for OBD1 as well

Intake/fuel injection ipt performance

need any other info?

1989 dx hatch

....on the subject of 200sx

I just recently put a ca18et in a 200sx.....simple swap little involved
Boosted it to 13 lbs on stock bottom with no probs...have not had it on the dyno yet......

Runs real strong......

My mistake. If you're completely wired for OBD1, then you need the OBD1 distributor.

Back